Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Series Wednesday: Family Game night page 30

I run behind my dad who is flying down the stairs to get to my mother and Grace. I can hear Grace screaming in pain. As I go down the stairs I see Grace strapped to the table with cuts on her stomach. “Tell your father what you told him!” My mother screams at Grace. “Rose enough!” my dad says. “Not quite yet” my mother says as she cuts into Grace some more. I push past my dad and grab a scalpel; I shove my mother against the wall. “Touch Grace again and I swear I will do twice as bad to you.” I tell her putting the scalpel to her stomach. “I dare you to Cahira!” My mother says with a laugh. So I stab her in her stomach nothing that would injure her, just a flesh wound. My mother starts laughing. “You think you are Hope’s daughter? Because all I see is me in your eyes.” My mother says as she leans into me. “If you see yourself in my eyes then you of all people should know to back off. You know what you would do if someone didn’t listen. Maybe I’ll grow up to be just like you mother!” My mother smiles. “All a parent ever wants is a child to follow in their footsteps.” I push my mother back into the wall as I step back. “No, a good parent wants their children to be better than them. They do not wish their daemons on their children.”  I can’t help but scream at her. “See you call them daemons I call them strengths.” I walk away from her to help Grace off the table. 
                “Leave her!” My mother tells me as I loosen the straps. “Rose enough, Grace is our daughter. You can’t treat her like this.” My dad says as he grabs my mother away from me. “Fine, I’ll be upstairs but I would ask her what she told the boy before you let her go so quickly.” My mother says as she heads up the stairs.  My dad turns back to me “Stop!” He tells me. “No, dad please just let me help her.” I feel tear start to form in my eyes. “Daddy I promise I will tell you everything but please don’t make me go through this.” Grace says in pain. You can just hear the pain in her voice. I look at my dad. “Fine, Cahira clean her up and take her to her room. I’ll be up in a bit.” I start to help Grace out of the game room and up the stairs. We head to the middle bathroom. I put her in the bath tub to clean her cuts. My mother really did a number on her. I hear my dad leave the house. I am not sure where he is going but he must be angry if he left. I start to clean Grace’s cuts, as I clean them I notice one of them is a lot deeper than the others and won’t stop bleeding.  “Grace this one won’t stop bleeding.” I tell her as Grace looks down. “Shit! I am going to need stiches.” Grace says as she points toward the hallway. “Why are you pointing over there?? Is there a doctor hiding in your room I don’t know about?” I ask Grace as she continues to point. “No in my room there is a fishing box. It has fishing line in it. Go get it.” I look at Grace. “When in your life have you ever gone fishing?” I can’t help but ask her. “Never, now can you please go get it.” I get up to find my mother in the hallway. She has the fishing box in her hand. “Move aside I got this.” My mother says as she pushes me aside and walks up to Grace. “Please don’t!” Grace screams. “Grace, calm down I would never hurt you in your own bathroom. I’m not a monster” she says as she starts stitching Grace’s cut closed. “You just don’t want me to get blood on the carpet” Grace says. “Well your dad and I paid a lot of money for the carpets. So yes, I wouldn’t want you to get blood on them. Grace believe it or not you are very special to me.”  My mother says as she cleans Grace’s wounds. “Cahira was always your favorite she was the daughter you wanted.” I feel awkward when Grace and my mother talk about me like I am not here. “Cahira was the daughter I always wanted before the coma, but you were always my daughter. You are special because no matter what you do you will always have my DNA coursing through your veins.”  My mother says as she gets up to leave the room. “Is that all I am something else you own?” Grace asks. “What do you want a touchy feeling mom?? Sweetie you’re in the wrong family for that. I said what I said take it or leave it.” My mother says as she walks out of the bathroom.  I hear the back door open and the game room door. I look at Grace I know what this means. My dad has lost his temper and is going to regain his cool by killing someone. I just stand there with my eyes closed. “Cahira, what if it is Enrique.” Grace says knowing the sound all too well. I didn’t even think about that. “Do you really think dad could have found Enrique that fast?” I ask Grace knowing I sent Enrique away. “Yeah I do. It’s dad he could find him that fast. Please don’t let dad hurt him.” Grace pleads. I get up to run down stairs to the game room. I am not sure how I can stop my dad but I will try.

No comments:

Post a Comment