Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Series Wednesday: Family game night Page 13


“Well what does it say?” I ask hoping that it is something to get Percy back. Grace clutches on to the note. My dad seeing the panicked look on her face grabs the note out of her hand.  "To the beloved older sister, I will start with you. Do not worry you won't be the last just the first step in getting your pervious baby brother back. All you have to do is tell your secret. You know the one. Follow the pictures if you need a little motivation. Remember what you have to lose. But don't worry if you're not strong enough to tell your secret and what Enrique does for you. I won't kill Percy just cut his arm off. You have one week. After that it will be your beautiful mothers turn."  My dad looks at Grace. "Well what's your secret?" My dad says.  Grace looks at my dad and then my mother and just turns and starting running out of the house. "Go get her!" My dad yells at me. I start to run after her. I probably shouldn't even try as Grace is a cross country runner and number one in the state.  Grace is so far ahead of me there is no way of me catching up. I finally stop trying and she is still going. I should work out more I can barely breathe. I start to walk back to the house.  Both of my parents are standing there at the front door waiting for me. I walk past them down the hall to the kitchen to get a glass of water. "Well." My mother says to me.  "I am sorry I don't see you running after her." I say as I guzzle down the glass of water. "What kind of secret could she have that would make her run like that?" my dad asks me. "You're really asking me? It's not like she and I do lots of sharing. But if you're asking my opinion in a family of serial killers, yeah I have no idea what kind of secret she could have that would make her run." My mother's face looks unamused by my statement.  My mother lays out the pictures on the counter top. "Maybe these will help us."  I look at the pictures.
                We haven't said anything in almost 30 minutes; we have just been here staring at these photos. "So any idea what any of these could mean?" I ask my parents. My dad picks up the picture of him and Grace.  "Do you remember this day?" He asks me. "No why would I?  That is a picture of you and Grace." My dad laughs. "Grace was about 8 here. It was take your daughter to work day. So I naturally brought both of you. We were in a merger meeting." My dad paused and put the photo down and looks at me. "You really don't remember any of this?" My dad asks me. I shake my head no at him. "Well we were in the middle of this meeting talking about the new company we had just bought out. We were having problems with some of the old managers that had stood with the company and you looked up from your drawing and said daddy I thought you were the boss? When I said yes I am. You said then fire them and pull up the next in line. When they start to cry for their jobs back,  daddy give them a job but with less with power and lower pay. That way you have their knowledge and now they will know who is boss.” My dad looks at me with such pride. “So because I told you to fire people and hire them back for less money and power you were proud of me?” I ask. “Yes you had such a mind for business even at a young age. You were so smart and logical, well were.” He looks so disappointed. “What does any of that have to do with Grace and this picture?" I ask him. "Everything, they asked me to take a picture with my beautiful daughter and you pushed Grace toward me. You gave me a look and I saw how sad Grace was that we all were admiring you when she was the one who got all dressed up to come to my job. You on the other hand fought your mom for hours just to get you into a dress that you instantly put your leather jacket over. That was one of the few things that didn't change after the coma was your sense of style." my dad chuckles. "So this picture was to make Grace feel better?" My dad nods yes. "I told her you couldn't be in the picture because they asked for my beautiful daughter not my headache daughter.  She had the biggest smile and so did you. That was the only thing that made you smile back then was Grace being happy." My mother picks up the picture of her and Grace. "This must be why this picture was picked as well." My mother is holding her picture of her and Grace before handing it to me. "When was this?" My mother sits down. "This was only a few weeks before the accident. It was my rose contest. I had some of the most beautiful roses in the community garden but stupid Stacy Anne's roses were just a little bigger than mine." I look at my mother trying to figure out where she is going with this. "So...???? Why would this picture have anything to do with what I and dad were talking about?" My mother smiles. "You poisoned her roses for me to win."  My mother says so proudly.  "Okay? So tell me about  this picture?" I ask her. "Well that was your one thing you asked for.  You told me to have Grace help me in the garden and wanted to credit her for the help. So I did and we took this picture for the paper."  I look down at the picture and realize all of them are times I did what it took to make Grace happy. What does that have to do with a secret??

No comments:

Post a Comment