Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Series Wednesday: Timetopia Page 23

                Rev walks outside and James chases after her.  It’s just me and Erick at the table. “I never meant the world to turn out this way. I just wanted a world without crime and wars. I really did think at the time we were doing the right thing. But Rev is right. We somehow became the monsters we fought so hard against.” Maybe it’s because I grew up here in Timetopia but I thought it was amazing here. It’s all the things they hid that have been changing my mind. “What I don’t get is if you guys didn’t like war why would you allow James to make guns? Isn’t that asking for trouble?” He laughs. “Why yes it is. Which is why I was against it, but West had them made his year and Charles continued it the next year after during his. James didn’t make them my year.” Charles lied to me. He pretended to not know anything about guns in Timetopia. “Charles acted like he didn’t know anything about it.”  Erick’s eyes flared. “When did you see Charles?”  I can tell the answer I give him is going to change something. I’m not sure if I should tell him. I look out the window and Rev looks right at me, I must have a look on my face because Rev rushes inside. “I’m sorry I missed what we were talking about. How about you catch me up?” She says to Erick getting his attention on her. “She said she had spoken to Charles and I’m asking when.”  Rev looks at me. I still can’t seem to say anything. “Why do you seem like you’re ready to jump down Ava’s throat for the answer?”  Erick’s eyes are now glued on me. “Because Charles has been acting strange for some time now.”  Rev nods at me for me to tell him. “I saw him the night before the Switch festival.” He stands up instantly. “I have to go. I cleared away out of town for you. But once you get past the city I can’t protect you from the loyalists. They will do anything West and Charles tell them to.”  Rev looks at me. “STOP. You didn’t really answer anything for us. Just told us how this all came to be.” I tell him. He looks at me. “I am not the one who is going to answer your questions. When you get to your…” He just stops talking and looks at Rev. “To her grandma’s house.”  He nods yes. “She is the only one who can really give you answers. I just did what your mother asked of me. To show you my perspective so you can see more sides to this story.” Erick gives a half smile, fixes his glasses on his face, and walks away.
                Rev waits until Erick is gone for a bit before saying a word. We both just stayed completely still. “Do you trust him?” Rev asks me. “I did, until the Charles thing.” Rev is still staring at the door he just left out of like he is going to bust right through. Rev then closes her eyes. “What are you doing?” I ask her. “I have a photographic memory when I want to. I’m trying to see if there is anything I missed.” She shakes her head. I don’t think she found what she was looking for. “We need to get going.” Rev tells me, I nod yes but I have one question. “What is a war lord?” I ask her, it has been bugging me. “They are people who feed off war. They profit from the death of others. That’s the only way I would know how to explain it.”  I look down. I am not sure what war looks like but I don’t think we are in one. “Are we in a war like Erick said?” I ask Rev. “I didn’t think so at first. But I am starting to think we are somehow in the middle of one. It just hasn’t hit the surface yet.” The surface of what? She walks back outside before I can ask. I walk to the room to grab my bag.  I can see through the window that Rev yelling at James while he is trying to walk away from her.

                “You sold us down the river to save your own skin. What did they offer you?!” Rev is yelling at James. “Nothing, he knew who Ava was already and said he was working with her mom. He promised to get you out of the city. Erick is a good guy, I have worked with him for years.” Rev doesn’t seem to like his answer. “Well we are leaving right now. Ava! Are you ready?” Rev asks me. I am just standing there with all of my stuff in my hands. I’m not sure what else I need to be ready. I nod yes. We head to the front door. James steps in front of Rev. “Not fair. I am not the bad guy here. I just wanted to protect you. I get where you coming from in the bronx there was no such thing as kindness but here in timetopia its different, we care about our neighbors and I don’t want anything to happen to you Rev.” James is right in Rev’s face, this almost feels personal. I feel like I’m walking in on a conversation that has been going on for a while and I’m only witnessing the end. “Move James! Like I told you, this is OUR journey and there’s no room for anyone to stand in the way or tag along.”  Rev won’t look him in the eyes, it’s like she is looking right through him. “If you need me, you know how to reach me. I will be there if you reach out to me. I promise. I did what I did what I had to, you know that.”  Rev pushes him to the side and walks out the front door. “Ava please listen to me. Just yell Double O7 and the system will alert me. I will come to where ever you two are.” James doesn’t seem like a bad guy to me. I nod yes as I follow Rev out.

No comments:

Post a Comment