Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Series Wednesday: Timetopia page 24

                We are walking back toward the city. Rev hasn’t said one word since we left James’ house. I wonder why he wanted to protect Rev so badly, but I don’t want to ask her. Half because I’m afraid she will bite my head off and half because I saw her face when we left and she looked sad. We’re finally in the city. “Plan stays the same. You take the test and get us the car.” Rev tells me. I nod yes. I start to walk to the library. Rev follows behind me. “How do you know where the library is?” she asks me. “Look around. All the cities in Timetopia are built the same. So That we will never get lost no matter what part of Timetopia we are in.” I don’t need to look at her to feel her rolling her eyes. “Yes because who would want each city to be their own and feel the spirit of the people living there.” I have no idea what she is talking about. So I say nothing in response. We walk up to the library time for me to take my test. I know how much my mom would of loved to be here. “I’ll wait out here for you okay?” Rev says. I walk into the library and go up to the desk. “I am here for the driver’s test.” I tell the lady up front. She smiles and point to one of the rooms. I walk over to the room and see the green light to go in. I sit down at the screen and the screen lights up. Words come across it to let me know this test will be an hour long. We don’t have time for an hour long test. My dad showed me a code to pass this test. We used to joke just in case I felt like I couldn’t pass. I wonder if this is why he showed me this code. Maybe my parents knew one day they wouldn’t be with me and I would have to do things fast. I wait until the test starts and I type in the codes. I end up getting a 95%, really? You would think my dad would of taught me how to get 100%.
                I come out of the library with my new id. Rev is just sitting out front. Time to get a car and get out of here. We start to walk toward the car dealership. “Stop!” We hear from behind us. I turn and look behind us. It’s a wellness checker. Rev doesn’t even turn around. “I’m sorry sir, is there a problem?” The wellness checker looks at me for a second. “Yes, I need to talk to your friend.” I am not sure what to do. Rev slowly turns around. Well, here we go. “Your ear.” The wellness checker says. “Yes what about it?” Rev says confused. “Well you’re only allowed to have one earring per ear. It seems that you have two in each ear.” I stop breathing; I have never noticed she had two earrings in each ear. Rev smiles. “Sorry I am a bit of a rule breaker.” She steps toward him not breaking eye contact. The wellness checker takes a deep breath. “Well that’s not a good thing. I wouldn’t want you to get erased for having two earrings. You’re much too beautiful for that.”  Rev starts to take out her earrings. “Okay but only because you’re cute.” She smiles and the wellness checker starts to walk away. “That could have been bad.” I tell her. “Men are the same no matter what type of world you live in.”  We continue on to the car dealership. I go in alone.

                Back on the road again for us. We start to head out of the city. I got us a four door, something not very noticeable so we can get out of here. I can’t help but think about my father… I wanted so badly to help him. I wonder if he knew how bad it was going to get for him. I know I never thought our lives would turn out this way. I thought Dad, Mom and I would always be close. I thought I would take work in the gardens harvesting food. I know everyone on my block would talk about how green of a thumb I had. Rev drives us out of town. I look out the window at the car behind us. It’s the wellness checker from the street. “Is he following us?” I ask Rev. “Yes he is. He has been since we met. You didn’t see him follow us to the car dealership?” If she knew he was following us why didn’t she say anything. “No, I would of said something if I did.” I go to look back at him, Rev grabs me. “If I wanted him to know that we know he is there I would have shot him. I am just getting him far enough from the city before we address him.”  I want to look back so badly but I am slightly scared Rev will hit me. So I just sit here for a second. “Are you going to kill him?” Rev tilts her head. “I’m not sure yet but I know for sure he isn’t just a wellness checker.”  If he isn’t a wellness checker who is he? “How do you know he isn’t just a wellness checker?” Rev takes a deep breath. “Call it trick of the trade. Plus he has a gun.”  I just look at her. I want to know what the she means or how she knows he has a gun but she will probably give me an answer that will leave me with more questions.  We are out of town now and I see him starting to speed up. “Are you ready?” Rev asks me but even if I say no it won’t change whatever it is she is going to do next. “Sure, I’m ready.”

No comments:

Post a Comment