Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Series Wednesday: Family game night page 3


                I wake up to see my mom at the end of my bed. “Your father and I have been talking about Percy’s birthday. We are going to hold on family game night until next week. Percy’s birthday party is tomorrow and if he reacts badly we do not want a house full of people.” My mom’s cold demeanor does not surprise me. “I know there is nothing I can say to change your mind. So I have decided to stay here for his first family game night. I will sit up stairs by the door until you guys are finished.” I won’t even look at my mom. “I think you should be down there with us. You never know if you have changed. You might be more open minded. Your special instinct might just kick in later.” I get up out of my bed. I know where this conversation is going. “You heard the doctor after my 5th or was it 7thth M.R.I. right?? I don’t have that how did you refer to it as special instinct.” I start to get dressed. “I think it was that small coma you were in as a child that ruined your brain. But I am not a brain doctor or anything.” She dusts off her dress and stands up. “No you’re just a paid hand.” I respond instantly regretting the words after they came out of my mouth.  I look back at my mom as she walks over to me. She slaps me across the month. "You should always get paid for what your good at. If anyone tells you different then they are a fool." She walks out of my room as I stand there with my hand on my month. Great now that I pissed her off what a great way to start my day. I get dressed and go to Percy’s room. "Happy birthday!" I tell him as I walk into his room. "Thank you Cahira." He says as he walks over to give me a hug. "Are they making you go to school today?" I ask him. "Yeah, dad says I am getting a party so I have to go to school."  Percy shrugs. "Come with me and you won't have to go to school." I say as I head downstairs. Percy runs behind me all the way out the house to my motorcycle. "Where are we going?" Percy says as he hops on the back of my bike.
                Percy and I laugh after getting off the rollercoaster. "You screamed louder than the little girl behind us." I say to Percy laughing so hard I can barely breathe.  "She was a savage either that or she is a mute. I didn't hear her scream once," the little girl comes off the ride and laughs as she walks past Percy. Which makes me fall to the floor laughing. "Come on now!" Percy yells. I get up and grab Percy. "Let’s get something to eat. Percy and I get some ice cream and walk off the Pier down to the beach. "Thanks for bringing me out here. This has been so much fun." Percy says as he fines his spot to sit on the beach. "What is a 3 and a half hour ride for my little brother’s birthday." I say as I sit next to him. "So now that I am 13 I am not a kid anymore right?" I eat my ice cream silently. “You will always be my little brother. Why are you asking if you’re still a kid?? Do you not feel like a kid?”  Percy stops eating his ice-cream. “Look Cahira you are the only one in our family who has ever treated me as a kid. Mom, dad and Grace act like I am a growing adult; you don’t which never bothered me because I have always felt like you love me more than they do. But I am growing up so Cahira there are some things I need to ask you.” Percy sounds like an adult. He doesn’t sound like my little brother who would have night mares and slept on my floor. “What is your question?” I ask him. “Why do you hate them so much?? You and mom can barely stand to be in the same room and I just want to know why?”  I know I can’t answer any of Percy’s questions right now. “Percy let’s just enjoy this beautiful day and this good ice-cream. We have the rest of our lives to talk about our family and why I have a dislike for them.”  I wonder if he will side with me once he knows or he will be just like them.  Only time will tell I guess.
                Percy and I walk through the front door to find my mother standing there. “Happy birthday Percy, I hope you enjoyed where ever it is you were instead of school. Now go to your room and get ready for your birthday dinner.” Percy smile and runs up the stairs. “As for you” My mother says while looking at me. “You are in a world of trouble. How dare you help Percy miss school. You are not his mother and you do not get a say in if he goes to school or not. Do you understand me?” I look my very angry mother up and down. “I am not even going to touch that one.”  I tell her as I start to walk past her to the stairs. “It is Percy birthday, so I am not going to fight with you. I am just going to tell you that you’re grounded.”  I can hear the smugness in her voice but I just keep walking up the stairs and try to remember that today is about Percy.

No comments:

Post a Comment