Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Series Wednesday: Family Game night page 1

        “Are you crashing here tonight?”  I pull the blanket over me and smile really big. “Nope I am rushing home right now.” I laugh. “Come on Cahira, you know how mad your mom is going to be.” I look at Chance and smile. “I am trying to care I really am but I just don’t, strangest thing.” I laugh and roll over. My phone keeps lighting up with my mom’s name is flashing across it. “I don’t get why you wouldn’t want to go home.  You have the perfect family.” I sigh. “It’s Friday and you know what that means its family game night.” I try to close my eyes and ignore Chance. “Family game night sounds amazing. I love going to your family events. I just don’t get you rebelling against family game night.  I mean I get you’re the black sheep with tattoos, which I know everyone at school is so jealous of but I don’t think you should rebel against your family.”  I punch Chance in the arm. “Just because we have been best friends since we were kids does not give you the right to weigh in on every single part of my life.” Chance laughs. “Try your only friend and yes it does. I have been here since Second grade so I have say over it all. But since you want to be a brat about it I am going to watch the news and ignore you.” Chance turns on the T.V. I roll over and ignore Chance. He has no idea what it is like for me. I have the perfect family, let’s take a roll call. We have my mother who is a stay at home mom Rose with rock hard abs and writes some of the most sold cook books, for a stay at home mom she is always on the go. Next is my handsome and very wealthy father John, he made a killing investing on Smart Chip technology. He flashes his white smile and everyone just does what he asks, well mostly women. Then you have my perfect older sister Grace, much like my mother and father she has away of hypnotizing anyone she speaks to, it is like magic. Then there is me and my baby brother, he is actually perfect. My little brother Percy is the most genuine person I have ever met. He doesn’t play sport or run for school office like my sister, he is the only person in my family I enjoy being around. 

            “Cahira it is time for school.” I lay in my bed thinking about how weekends go by too fast.  How it is Wednesday already gets me. I walk down to the kitchen to grab some juice before school. “Do you know what is 2 weeks away? Percy 13th birthday! He will be old enough for grown up family game night.” I look over at my mom as she talks to me.  “No he is too young for the family game night after hours.” I whisper to my mom. “No he is not. You and your sister were both 13 when I and your dad let you in. Just because you are not as gifted as your sister, doesn’t mean Percy won’t love it.” I slam my juice on the counter. “I wouldn’t use gifted as my choice of words. Why does sinister sit on my tongue as a better description of her.” My mother looks at the juice all over the counter. “Aren’t we anti-climactic this morning? Make sure you clean that up and get over yourself.” My mom just walks away from me and head towards the front door. I start to whip up the juice and grab some pancake mix out of the pantry and start the mix. Percy loves pancakes before school. “Something smells good.” I look back and see Grace grabbing the honey from the cabinet. I turn back and continue cooking. “I heard you and mom, what were you arguing about this time?? Did you get another tattoo or something?” I look back at Grace my parent’s perfect child. “We were fighting about Percy 13th birthday.”  I look Grace straight in the face to see her reaction. Grace and I are only 10 months apart. Most people thought Grace and I were fraternal twins since we are sister and in the same grade. “OH! I get why you’re fighting now.” Grace says she walks over to the bowl of fruit on the table at the other end of the hall way. “That’s all you have to say?” I ask Grace. “You know that I do not want to fight with you. I think bringing Percy in is an amazing thing for our family. I am so sick of keeping things from him. He is our little brother and this keeps our family close.”  I want to throw the frying pan at her. Grace was my best friend most of my life but my 13th birthday changed all of that. That was the day I saw her and my parents for who they really are. “Keeps us close! I can’t even talk to you anymore Grace.” I turn around and see the pancake is burning on one side. “Cahira, before my 13th birthday I thought something was wrong with me. No matter how much I tried to fit it I felt like a stranger in my skin but when mom and dad opened themselves up to me. I felt whole.” I hear Percy running down the stair and so does Grace. “I’ll just have a banana.” She says as Percy walks into the kitchen. “Morning Grace.” He says as he speeds past her to get his pancakes.  “Thank you Cahira you’re the best.” He says as he grabs the stack of pancakes. “You excited about your birthday?” Grace asks him. “Yes very, mom and dad said I’m finally old enough to get a key to the game room. I can’t believe I am finally old enough for a key.” I laugh. “It is just a basement.” I tell Percy trying to hold back from telling him the truth. “It doesn’t matter if it is not as amazing as mom and dad make it sound. I am just excited to be a part of it.” Percy sounds like me. “Hear that Cahira he is excited to be a part of it.” Grace says to me in her snake voice. I know I couldn’t protect Percy forever but I need to come up with a plan to stop this.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see where this goes. #excited

    ReplyDelete