Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Series Wednesday: Family game night page 16


                I slept in Grace’s bed to keep her safe. "Cahira?" I hear Grace I start to open my eyes. "Yeah?" I roll over to look at Grace. "Why are you in here?" She asks me. "Well after you left me in the tree house I had a talk with dad and well it made me worry about you." Grace starts to sit up. "What talk did you have with dad?" I sit up to look at her. "You had an imaginary friend while I was in the coma?" Grace’s face changes. "What about it?" Grace says a little defensively. "Where did your imaginary friend come from?" Grace just looks at me for a bit. "I met him at the hospital when they told us you might never wake up." I can understand why everyone thought that Grace had an imaginary friend. That must have been a hard time for her. "Grace he wasn't imaginary, he saved dad that night." Grace looks up at me and jumps out of her bed and runs down stairs. Her and this damn running. I follow her down stair to the box. "I don't know why it didn't click before." I look at her as my dad and mother come running down stairs. I think they heard us running. "I didn't bury this box the last time I gave it to my imaginary friend. He said he would protect my secret with his life. How could I forget that?" My dad just looks at Grace. "Cahira told you about your imaginary friend not being so imaginary I see. So is he using your secrets against you now??"  My dad asks Grace. "No it means that whoever took Percy has been around for a lot long than a few months." I explain looking at the picture of me and Grace as kids at the carnival. My parents look at each other. I think the realization that whoever has Percy has to do with them and not us just sunk in.
                "So what is your secret?" My dad asks Grace.  Grace looks my dad in the eyes. "To be honest I am not sure any more. I knew what I thought it was but now... Does he mean my childhood secrets?" My dad holds up the picture of Enrique. "I think it is safe to say whoever this is wants a more recent secret." Grace won't even look at the picture of Enrique. She just walks away. "GRACE ANNE! You better come back here right now?" My mother yells at Grace but she just keeps walking. "We only have 5 more days and it doesn't seem like Grace is in a mood to spill." I tell my dad. My dad nod and starts to walk after Grace. "This person is going to hurt Percy do you not understand that or are you that selfish that you don't care about your own blood! You would rather keep some secret with a boy." Grace instantly stops walking and turns around to face my dad. "You really think this is about a boy?" She asks my dad. "I am not sure Grace you haven't said what this is about. You just keep running away from us like you don’t care about what happens to Percy." My dad says. "I would do anything for Percy! I will tell you guys my secret just give me time!"  Grace screams at my dad. "You don't have time Grace!" Grace is in tears. "Maybe I am just not ready for things to change between us."  Grace is still screaming at my dad. "Grace nothing will ever change the way we feel about you." My mother says. "Oh that is crap and you know it. Before Cahira’s coma you didn't give a rat’s ass about me or Percy. Cahira was the end all be all. But once she woke up different you were so quick to turn on her. That is just how it is with you mom, if we do something you don't agree with you would turn on any of us. So don't try to feed me that nonsense. I will tell you everything but just not yet." The doorbell rings and we all seem to just stop. "Are you expecting anyone?" My dad asks me. "Why are you asking me?? I have like one friend and Chance would call first." My dad starts to walk towards the door. "Do you think it could be the cops with more information?" My mother asks. "Yeah let’s hope so." Grace says. My dad opens the door to find a present. All of us just look at each other. "What could it be this time?" I ask. "It shouldn't be Percy's arm we had a week." My mother says. "Yes because kidnappers who pretend to be your young girl's imaginary friend are known for keeping to their word." I say to my mother. She gives me a dirty look. "Grace I think time might be up." Grace just puts her hand over her mouth and starts sobbing. "Please don't say that. I didn't mean for anything to happen to Percy."  Grace says through her tears. My dad just looks down at the box for a bit. It is wrapped in my little pony wrapping paper. "Grace what was our 8 birthday party theme?" I ask her. "You guys had a My Little Pony party. You hated it but Grace loved it, so you agreed to have the party she wanted." My mother says. "The wrapping paper" I point. "Every detail matters. Maybe there is more to these boxes then meets the eye." I explain to my family. "I will be careful taking the wrapping paper off just in case." My dad says as he starts to unwrap the gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment