Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Series Wednesday: Family Game Night Page 32



                My mother brings me the laptop. I plug in the thumb drive and open the file on it. It is a video of Percy. “Hi Cahira, I miss you. So, he wants me to tell you that you can’t remember him but for my sake you have to. Here is a little insight to where you met.” Percy cuts off. It is playing a video of me walking down the street as a kid. A guy with a hoodie is grabbing me. He seems to be talking to me. It looks like he is trying to get a good hold on me. I seem to be laughing; I keep looking back at the street where the cars are passing by. I seem to be counting how long until the next car. The hooded man keeps trying to talk to me. He is shaking me and I seem to keep laughing at him. He is trying to lift me off the ground and I am fighting him. I look back again at the cars. I give him the middle finger and push myself back from him and get hit by a car. This must have been the accident that put me into the coma. I look back at my parents. “Did you know?” I ask them. “No we didn’t know how you got hit by the car.” My mother says as she stares at the screen. “Here is your real test.” Percy is back on the screen. “You have to remember your first conversation that you had with him and you will get me back. It is all on you Cahira. I love…” the video cuts off.  “Do you remember anything about that day?” My dad asks me. “No, I wish I did.” Grace holds my hand. I look at Grace and realize she wasn’t with me. Why was I walking by myself??? I never use to walk home alone. “Where were you at?” I ask Grace. “I was with you that day, but I walked into the store to get candy. When I saw the guy with the hoodie you gave me a hide look. The same look you gave me when mom got mad at us and was going to get us. So I hid but I could hear some of what he told you. Just a little bit nothing really.”  Grace puts her head down. “Why didn’t you ever tell us what happened?” My dad asks Grace. “I was scared, and I felt horrible. The only person I ever told was my not so imaginary friend.”
                Both of my parents are furious with Grace. I just want to know what little she heard. “Grace don’t worry about them just tell me what you heard.”  Grace looks at our parents and then looks back at me. “He just kept saying that you needed to take him home. That he needed to meet the rest of us. You laughed and said over your dead body. You just kept laughing at him. You always called him the tramp which I didn’t understand. I never saw his face I just heard his voice when he was yelling at you. I just knew that if I told mom and dad what happened they would get mad at me for not trying to protect you. For letting you jump in front of the car to protect me.” Grace won’t even look up at me. “Grace you are the most important person to me. I would have done anything to protect you.”  I can’t remember anything about that day or any days before it. This is like a puzzle I have to figure out. I look at the stairs to see Enrique sitting at the top. I am shocked that my parents haven’t seen him yet. He waves to me, for me to go up there. I nod yes so, he will go back to my room. I can’t believe he is still here. “I am going to use the bathroom real fast.” I get up off the sofa to walk up the stair. “Cahira….” My dad says as I start to walk up the stairs.  I stop to look back at him. “We will figure out who this man is and we will get revenge for what he did to you.” My dad says. I look back at him and just smile as I continue to walk up the stairs to my room. I walk into my room to see Enrique packing her back pack. “I can get you the rest of the footage.” I don’t understand. “Wait what? What footage?” I ask him. “The rest of it, that video that you’re watching is only one side. I know that road and where all the store cameras are. I can get you the rest.” I never thought about the fact that we could find a different angle. “This was years ago. How do you know the stores will still have it?” I ask him. “I don’t but I can try. I want you to get your brother back. I’ll do whatever I can to help you” Enrique says. He walks up and kisses me before heading out the window. “Thank you….” I say under my breath as he is already gone. He moves fast. I need to get back to my family.  I start to head back down the stairs and I hear my mother. “You should have told us what happened. You care so little about your sister!” Grace starts screaming at my mother. “She isn’t even your daughter I am! She jumped in front of that car to protect me! I was just a little kid I was scared but not of him of you! Of what you would do to me for not protecting her. I thought you would throw me out with the trash. You made me feel like that my whole life!” I can hear Grace’s anger. I don’t want her to piss off my mother. I start to run to Grace’s side. My mother slaps her across the face before I can get there. “You do not raise your voice to me child. You are my daughter my blood. So, I can take your life. Don’t think for a spilt second that I won’t.” I run in-between them. “Enough mother” I shot as I push Grace back. My dad rushes to my side. “Let’s not lose sight of Percy we are so close to getting him back.” My dad wraps his arms around my mother and moves her back.

No comments:

Post a Comment