Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Series Wednesday: Family game night Page 18

Grace and I walk through the front door and my mother is sitting on the stairs waiting for us. "Honey the girls are home!" My mother yells. I hear my dad coming from the kitchen. "Go to your room I will handle this." I whisper into Grace's ear. Grace nods at me and heads up the stairs. "Where are you going?" My mother asks her. "Stop mother," I tell her as Grace starts to run up the stairs. "What is going on?" My dad asks. "She killed that whole family out of guilt. Her emotions got the best of her." My dad just takes a step back. "Well you know what this means." My mother says to my dad. My dad nods his head yes. My mother start to try to walk up the stair. I run in front of her stopping her. "You are not putting her in the cage or laying a hand on her." I tell my mother. "Cahira you don't understand, Grace cannot give into her emotions and urges. She needs to learn to control them. So step out of your mother’s ways." My dad says to me. My mother and I won't break eye contact.  "Listen to your father Cahira and move." My mother says to me. "TRY ME MOTHER I DARE YOU."  My mother just continue to looks at me. "Cahira stand down." My dad say to me. My mother grabs me by the hair and I throws my body so we both go tumbling down the stairs. I try to get up as fast as I can but I hit my head on the stairs and it cuts me. I feel the blood slowly inching down my face. "You want to go mother! Let's go! I am not Grace I could care less if I hurt you!" My mother just looks at me. "STAND DOWN!" my dad says to my mother as he grabs her arm pulling her back from me. My mother is foaming at the mouth like a rabid dog. "She needs to learn respect." My mother says to my dad. "Well considering you have none I highly doubt I would learn it from you," I say in response to my mother comment. My dad just looks at me and lets my mother go. "Cahira you did this to yourself." My dad says to me as my mother steps toward me. See as my parent rarely pay attention to me neither of them know I took MMA to learn to control my temper. As my mother steps up to me I knock her legs out from under her with a floor sweep. As she falls to the floor I pull the knife out of my boot and climb on top of her and put the knife to her neck.

                "Cahira!" My dad screams. I look my mother in the eyes as I push the knife against her skin. Of course my mother doesn't flinch. "Do it Cahira prove you’re my daughter."  I drop the knife next to her head. “I might be your blood but I will never be your daughter!” I scream at my mother. I walk away from her and my dad. “Cahira!” My dad says as I walk away. I stop and turn toward my dad. “NO ONE WILL PUT GRACE IN A CAGE!” I yell and start to run up the stairs.  I see Grace standing at the top of the stair waiting for me. “Thank you.” Is all she says as she hugs me. We both walk back to Grace’s room. I lay down with her so she will feel safe. “I didn’t know you had that in you.” Grace says to me. “Just because I don’t kill for sport doesn’t mean that I won’t do what I have to.” Grace face looks puzzled by my response. “So you would kill if you had to?” Grace asks me. “To be honest I don’t know. I would hope I would never have to kill anyone.” I try to explain to Grace the best way I can. “So right now with mom?” I look at Grace. “She doesn’t need to know that I won’t kill her. She only response to fear. So let’s give her a little fear.” Grace smiles at me. “I really missed having you by my side. I am sorry for the way I treated you after you decided not to well you know.” I never really understood why Grace turned on me until today. I was so angry at her for not standing by my side the way I had always stood by hers. I just look at Grace and for the first time I see Grace for who she is. Grace will always be the same 4 years old screaming at my mother to just watch her practice her ballet dance. My mother never liked to watch anything until it was perfect. I however stood in aw of Grace, she never gave up and would practice for hours and hours every day. My mother never seen how many times Grace fell or missed a step, all she saw was her perfected routine. Grace moved better than girls twice her age. I no longer felt any anger towards Grace just sorrow.  I couldn’t imagine wanting to make our parents so happy that I would drive myself nuts. “It’s okay Grace, I love you.” I tell her as I roll away from her to try and get some sleep. As I fall asleep, all I can think of is Percy. I hope Percy is getting to sleep on a bed and being fed. I wish I knew a little more about who has Percy besides it’s a man who has clearly been around for a while. Someone who is smart enough to never have been seen and convince Grace he was her imaginary friend. I know I can’t solve this problems tonight but I really wish I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment