Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Series Wednesday: Family Game Night Page 22


                I sit and watch Hope wash her face. “Are they good to you?” She asks me. “Who my parents?” I ask her. “Yes silly your parents.” She sit on the countertop across the bathroom. “I mean they are serial killers. So yeah I guess for serial killers they are great to me.” Hope just laughs at my comment. “Well I am sure they are doing the best that they can. So, I have to ask did you ever have any idea Rose wasn’t your mom?” I stop to think about my answer. “Yeah I think I always knew. She just never felt like she wasn’t my mom, but she was my mother.” I guess I always knew. It examples my distaste for her. “You didn’t get the killing urge like them?” She asks me. “Yes and No.” Hope looks confused by my answer. “Please explain.”  I look around trying to think of how to explain. “I guess it is kind of simple. I got hit by a car when I was young and ended up in a coma. The coma damaged that part of my brain.” Hope puts her hands over her mouth. “Before the coma did you have an urge to kill?” She asks me. “Ummmmm. It’s hard to remember things from before. How I remember it was I didn’t have an urge to kill, I just didn’t care if I had to.” I can see the relief in Hope’s eyes. “I am sorry I couldn’t be there for you.” Hope says. “Why did you leave me with them?” I ask her. “I was only 16 when I had you. I didn’t know how to be a mother, I never had a mother. Rose and John were more settled then I could ever be.” My mouth drops. “You were 16?” Hope smiles. “Yes I was but Rose and John didn’t know. So let’s not tell them.”  How could my parent not know she was just a kid? She was around my age. No wonder she still looks so young. “You said you never had a mother. What happen to her??” I ask hoping to find out more about where she comes from. “I don’t know. I was sold and shipped all over the world since I can remember.” My heart drops. “Sold? Do you mean?” Hope looks at me for a while. “I am very educated in the ways of seduction and desire.” I get up to hug her. She doesn’t have to say anything else for me to know what she means, I don’t want to let her go. I just want to keep her here with me where she is safe.
                Hope and I lay down to get some rest. She seem so loving and nothing like my parents. I close my eyes to her smile and stroking my hair. “Cahira.” I hear as I open my eyes to see Grace. “Where is my mom?” I ask. “Do you mean Hope? She is down stair with our real mom and dad talking about all the boxes we have gotten so far. She is trying to help us find Percy.” I can’t believe for even a second I forgot about Percy. I get up out of bed and follow Grace down stair to the kitchen. As soon as Hope sees me she sticks her hand out for me to come to her, I run over to her and she raps me in her arms. My mother’s Face changes to a very unhappy look. “How did you sleep my little warrior?” Hope whispers in my ear. “I slept great for the first time in a long time.” I tell her. “Hope we should really stay focused.” My mother says as if I am a distraction. My dad put his hand on my mother shoulder to calm her. Hope start to edge me behind her. “Rose if you don’t get a hold of your jealousy we will have to speak in the game room. I don’t think either of us has the time for that. So I suggest you control yourself.”  Hope says to my mother with such force. My mother just stand there, she has nothing to say. My dad just starts talking. “So, what we have so far is we think who ever took Percy has been watching us for years. Probably since the girls were little. We have done some profiling about how old he should be. We think he is between 30-45.” Hope shakes her head my dad’s statement. “That’s too old, he was a bit young then that. If it is the same guy who was my client in China.” I look at Hope hating the fact that she has clients. “You said he had money right?” My dad asks. “Yes to afford the kind of time I spent with him. He was rich for sure.” My dad rubs his forehead, the way he does when he can’t solve a problem. “Why would he won’t to expose all of our secrets and to take Percy?”  Grace asks. “To get our attention. He has been in the back round the whole time. He has been watching our secrets, like Hope said he thinks this will bring us closer together or tear us apart. Percy is just a way to ensure we will be honest because we all adore Percy.” I explain. It all seems so clear to me now. This is more than just a game to this man. He is gearing up for something bigger. I am just not sure what. “That is very perceptive and I completely agree with you little warrior.” Hope says to me. I notice how encouraging Hope is and the fact that she won’t let me go. I have never felt this kind of love. I wish she wouldn’t of left all those years ago and would of stood to be my mom. The doorbell rings and we all run to the front door. My dad motions for all of us to stand back as he opens the door. There is a wooden chest in front of it. Both my parents carry it in. Hope once again edges me behind her. “What is it?” Grace says. “It’s a hope chest.” Hope says as she looks at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment