Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Series Wednesday: Family Game Night page 21

    My parents took off to go find my mom. They refused to let Grace or I go with them. So we sit here at the house and wait for them. “How long have they been gone now?” Grace asks me. “26 hours” I tell her. I know we are both starting to worry. “What if she killed them?” Grace says. “Wouldn’t that be poetic?” I respond. Grace gives me a dirty look. “What if she isn’t a killer at all and they are just looking in the wrong places?”  A voice that came from behind us said. We both jump off the couch. “How did you get in?” Grace asks. She smiles and laughs. “I’ve never met a lock that could keep me out. I assume your Grace because you’re clearly not my child.” She walks over to me and asks “why are they looking for me warrior?” She says as she touches my face. “Warrior??” I can’t help but ask.  “What do you think Cahira means? You are a warrior. Now answer my question, why are they looking for me?? Are you ill or is one of them dying?”  I don’t know what it is about her but I feel safe for the first time in my life. “Neither, our baby brother has been kidnapped and the person who took him knows that you’re my, well you know.” I say. “They think I took him don’t they?” She asks me. “Hope!” I hear from the front door. I turn to see my parents at the door.


                Hope is her name; my mom’s name is Hope. She slowly moves behind her as my parents walk into the living room. “You think I would take your boy?? I am hurt that is the reason you came to find me.” She says to my parents. My mother walks right up to her and hugs her. “I am sorry we even thought that for a moment. Things have just gotten out of control someone has my baby and has been sending us boxes with our secrets in them.” I have never heard my mother be so genuine to anyone. My dad follows suit and hugs Hope. “Boxes or gifts?” Hope asks. All of us look at her a little shocked that she knew that they were sent as gifts. “How did you know?” Grace asks. “Purging you of your greatest secrets is a gift.” She says under her breath. “What is it?” My dad asks her. “There was a boy who found me years ago. He talked about gifts that would destroy you. A purging of the things that would keep you apart from the people you love. He was a strange one and he knew things about me. Well he knew I had a daughter but he disappeared.” Hope is still standing between my parents and me. It’s almost like she is protecting me. “You have to tell us everything you know about him.” My mother insist. “Of course but I hate to say I don’t know much. He was rich and young, very attractive. He was a killer for sure and couldn’t control it at first. He said a little girl helped him realize that he was out of control and it was starting to scare him. The girl he went on about he said she has no soul and feared nothing. He didn’t mean to break her but he did. Once he realized what he had done he went seeking help and well that when he found me.”  Hope shakes her head back and forth. “I wish I knew more but most of the time he spoke in strange riddles like children’s songs. I taught him control and it seems like he took to it. Well until he mentioned Cahira, not by name. He said your daughter is lucky to have your eyes. Once he said that he took off and I never seen him again. I search for him and nothing. It was almost like he didn’t exist and I made him up in my head or something. So I jumped on a plane and track Cahira down. She was at school with her clearly gay boyfriend, she looked safe and I wasn’t sure if you guys had told her about me so I took off.”  All of my family turns and looks at me. “Chance is Gay!?” They all say at the same time. Hope turns around to look at me. “You are my daughter using him to keep everyone away.” She smiles at me. I look at Hope. “No one questions you if you stand out enough to make it look like your being honest.” I look down at my tattoos. “Hope.” My mother says to get her attrition away from me. “Are you sure there is nothing else you can remember about him?” My mother asks. “No, I am sorry.” Hope says as she reaches out for my hand. “Do you mind if I freshen up? I had to take a 10 hour plane ride to get here. Once I heard you were looking for me I rushed here.”  Hope says to my parents. “No of course not. Up the stair to the right is a bathroom.” My dad says. Hope pulls me by the hand to follow her. I hold on to her hand tightly as we start to head up the stairs. “Hope!” My mother says with tears in her eyes. “Rose calm yourself I came here for you not to take her, but since I am here I would like to get to know my daughter. I am sure you will be reasonable with my one request.” I have never seen my mother back down from anyone. Hope has a power over my parents I have never seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment