Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Series Wednesday: Family Game Night Page 25


                It has been 4 days since Hope left. We haven’t heard anything from her or the kidnapper. It’s like they both just disappeared. My dad has been talking to the cops and they have no leads no one has any leads. I haven’t been attending school since they took Percy. It is like our lives are all on hold until we get him back. We keep trying to piece together everything we know and yet keep falling short. I wish I would have asked Hope where she was going before she left. I am scared I will never see her again. The worst part about all of this is my mother. She is acting like a heart broken puppy. She and my dad are not in the best place right now. If it wasn’t for Grace I don’t know what I would do but Grace is getting the urge again I can tell. Grace has her ticks that give her away but with so much police attention on us right now my dad has put a band on killing. I don’t know how long before Grace cracks and just starts killing on her own. Today is like most days I just lay in my bed and wonder if Percy is okay. I hear a tap at my window. I open it and its Enrique. “What are you doing here?” I ask him. “Well I just got out last night and I wanted to see how you were doing?” This is strange considering the fact that I have never really spoken to him. “Why do you care?” I ask him. I don’t mean to sound rude but I can even hear how it sounds. “Your little brother was taken and I know how cold your sister can be so I thought a lot about you when I was in there. I worried about you.” I look at him confused at how my life became his business. “You don’t even know me!” I point at the window for him to leave. “You really don’t remember anything before your coma do you?” I look at Enrique. “How did you know about my coma??? I didn’t meet you until high school.” Enrique closes my window.  “That’s not true. I was just put into a different foster home that moved me out of the district, when I was in high school the foster home I got into put me right back in your district. I use to go to school with you in second grade. You saved my life. You really don’t remember do you?” I shake my head at Enrique. “Is that how you met Grace?” I ask him. “Yes it is. It’s also why I started helping her stalk those families” he says. “Why don’t you jog my memory?” I tell him. He points for me to sit down on my bed like this is his room. This should be interesting.
                “Do you remember your walk home as a kid?” He asks me. “No I am sorry I don’t”, I tell him. “Well I was on your walk home I always use to walk in front of you and Grace because I had to be home right after school or my mom’s loser druggie boyfriend would beat the crap out of me.” He pause and takes a breath, this is clearly not a good memory for him. “I am so sorry that was your life.” I tell him. “Now back to the story. So one day I was late getting home because I got caught stealing someone’s lunch so the teacher made me stay after class for about 30 minutes. I ran home as fast as I could but it was too late. He was beating me so bad I thought I was going to die. So I ran out into the front yard. You were just standing there. You saw the blood coming out of me everywhere. You asked me if I was okay. He started to come out into the front yard when I pulled you into the bushes. I had seen how he was with his own daughter I didn’t want anything to happen to my first crush. You looked at me and said something I will never forget, would your life be better if he was dead? I looked right at you and said yes. You got up and walked into the front yard. You told him you were lost and needed to use the phone to call you parents. He let you into the house. I had never heard a man scream like that. I still have nightmares. I ran inside to see if you were okay. You had ripped his eyes out with a pencil. I grab you and you told me not to worry as you dragged this full grown man to the bathroom and you drowned him, I am not sure how you over powered him but it was like he never stood a chance.” I can’t believe what I am hearing. I killed his mother boyfriend. It sound like on a whim but who knows what I was thinking. “It was when you pulled him back from the toilet that you just drowned him in that I realized his guts were hanging out. You reached into his chest and pulled his heart out. You had some kind of pocket knife and sliced it out. You told me he had no heart so now he has no heart. You laughed at that before handing me the heart and calling home. Grace showed up which felt like minutes later with a change of clothes because yours were bloody. I swore I would never tell anyone what you did that day. You kissed me which by the way was my first kiss. You cleaned up everything you touched with some kind of kitchen cleaner mix you made. You told me to run back to school and make sure the cameras see me there. So when the body is found they won’t think it was me. They will think he beat me and I ran. You also took all of his money to make it look like a drug deal gone bad. You were scary but smart. You knew exactly how to handle it.” I couldn’t take my eyes off Enrique because I don’t remember any of this. I do remember him bleeding in the front yard a little bit. How many people did I really kill before the coma?

No comments:

Post a Comment