Monday, October 31, 2016

Random Short story: Seashell in the mail

   I fear my eyes are playing tricks on me. How could this be? I have always thought of myself as reasonable. So how is it that I just seen what I just saw. Now not even my thought make sense. Maybe I just need to replay that day in my head. Let's see where might I begin?
    I got up like any other day. I got ready for work, nothing new always the same. It was when I was on my way to work, that is when I say her. She was standing there at the edge of the bridge with a smile on her face. I'm not sure why I stopped but I thought someone needed to help her. So I tired, "Are you okay?" I yelled as I got out of my car. She looked back at me an laughed. "I assure you I am more than okay." She doesn't seem like she is going to take her whole life, But then why is she standing at the edge of a bridge over a 100 or more foot drop over waters dark and deep. "Okay, do you mind coming down from there and talking to me?"  she continues to laugh. "Why are you afraid? I can hear the fear in your voice?" she is now turned around looking at me. I'm not sure what to tell her. "Well I'm afraid you're going to kill yourself. That you're going to jump off the bridge." she giggled and came down for the edge. "Why do you think jumping off leads to death? Did someone tell you that?"  I think she might be crazy now. It's just fact not much to think about. "That's just what happens when you jump off a bridge this high."  She look back at the edge and starts walking back to it.. Some how i lost her attention. "I use to think that once to. Are you sick of your life?" How could she be asking me that? I'm not the one standing at the edge of a bridge. "No I'm not i like my life just fine. Are you sick of your life?" She looks at me. "I didn't think i was. until one day I seen a girl standing at the edge of the bridge. I stopped to try and help her, i wasn't sure why but i did. When i told her life was worth live she laughed and said life on land is so ordinary. That she longed for the sea. A city down deep beneath where only the good can be. I didn't believe her and she said mother nature either embraces you or rejects you. All that passed away after jumping didn't pass the test. So there bodies showed up, unlike the rest. So she jumped and i was shocked. I looked down and there she was swimming she waved at me. Disappearing into the water. I couldn't shake that day, until yesterday when i got a letter  with a seashell in the mail from the girl. Inviting me to try. There is a place of peace deep beneath. I never seen how unhappy i was until her. I wasn't really living just being a slave to money. but there is no money deep beneath. I just have to pass the test. Am i good or am i bad?" Now I know she is crazy. She runs up to me and hugs me. Maybe she is coming to her senses. She lets me go and run to the edge and jumps.  I run after her and there she is in the water. She is swimming and yelling at me. "I passed!" She disappears into the water. 
   A year later and I had often thought of that crazy day and all the things she had said. Every day for me being exactly the same. Then today i got a letter in the mail with a sea shell. The letter is from the girl. She said to try my luck, to stand at the edge and look in to the dark sea. To have faith but do not jump. Not until a good soul shows up. Tell the good soul of this wonderland and the gates will open and I will have a better life. This is crazy. But here i am stand at the edge. Looking back at a very nice man. Time to jump wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Thank You! A great way to start a Monday! Really good short story!!

    ReplyDelete