Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Series Wednesday: Timetopia Page 5

                “SO……. I’m not trying to be rude, but do you have a plan? Or are we just going to sit here for a few more hours?” Rev is right, I need something. Some kind of plan. Then it hits me. “We need to find out how the building looks on the inside to get my mom out.” Rev throws her hands up. “Wow, it’s that easy? We can just walk into city hall and get the blue prints. Right?” I sit there for a bit. “What is city hall? Is that in the Bronx? And what is a blue print?” Rev sighs. “Great. You don’t even have a city hall??? Where do you keep all you information at? The great hall of knowledge or something ridiculous like that?” I think she is mocking Timetopia. “Well we do have a library that normally where we keep information at.” Rev just sits there looking at me. “You have a library? They rename everything but they leave library. Okay.” Rename?? What?? There she goes again making me question things. Whenever I try to bring it up she always blows me off. I need to stay focused. “Yes the library holds all the records of Timetopia from the beginning. So if we need the Questions hall layout then we need to go to the library.” Seems simple enough to me.  Rev sits there, she is thinking it over. “We can go to any library there isn’t a special one we need to go to?”  I don’t understand what she is asking, all the libraries hold the same information. “We can go to any library. The one close to the Questions hall would probably be the smartest.” There Rev goes again rolling her eyes at me. “Okay let’s do it. I mean I can’t let you go on your own. Right?” I’m not sure why she is asking me that. “Right.” I respond. She just looks at me and starts to head to the library near the Question hall.

                “Ava wake up we are here. I swear you are always sleeping.” Rev is shaking me. We are parked in front of the library. The large stone walls that hold all of our history. We start to walk up to the library and Rev stops walking. “You have got to be kidding me! No way.” she grabs a rock and throws it at the library. I grab her arm and stop her from throwing another rock. “What is wrong with you!?” I ask her. “Do you not see that the sign?” I look up at the words carved into the library, the same words that are carved into all of them.  “Yes I do. It says what they all say, Knowledge is only what the higher power allows it to be.” She is now making growling sounds. “I can read. But do you know what that means??? Do you know what it really means?” I have never thought about what it meant, I just have always seen it since I was born. “No I guess I don’t.” she starts to head inside. “It means censorship.”  Rev seems to really dislike the sign. We walk into the library. “So where do we get the blue prints?” I look back at Rev. “Blue prints?” she sighs at my question. “Where is the buildings map?” I think I know what she is trying to say but with Rev it’s always a guessing game. “I have to draw it.” I walk over to the how our world began section. “What do you mean you have to draw it?” I can hear the concern in Rev’s voice. “Trust me this is nothing I haven’t done a million times. Me and my dad used to do this every weekend.” Rev shrugs, “I guess I will just look around then.” I look back at her and a piece of her red hair is sticking out of her fake hair. “Fix your hair. If they see it they will know there is something different about you.” She fixes her hair and laughs as she walks away. Now it time to get to work I watch the video and calculate how their sizes would be scaled down into a drawing. I feel like only minutes have gone by. “Dang, that is good..” I hear from behind me. I look to see my whole drawing from different angles. “Yeah, like I said me and my dad did this all the time. He taught me how to draw to exact scale measurements.” She is looking at my drawing very closely. “This is good we can use this. Your dad was smart for this one.” I look at her. “I’m sure all kids can do this.” she shakes her head. “Most humans can’t do this. With that aside, this place is huge how are we going to find which room she is in?”  I don’t know if huge is the word I would have picked. It has about 30 side restricted rooms and 5 main rooms open to the public. I look at her for a bit. “Well since we are going to be in the Questions hall we can just use the tracking system.” I stand up and grab my stuff. “I’m sorry the what??? You can’t say the tracking system and walk away.” I stood there looking at her. “The tracking system implanted in us as children. It’s why we have the barcodes on the back of our necks.” I stand there waiting for her to move. “You don’t see anything wrong with that? They mark you like cattle.”  I don’t understand why she is acting this way. “You’re joking right, the Five did this so kids can’t be lost or taken. There is no point of kidnapping children the wellness checkers will just find you and erase you.”  She tilts her head at me. “Well you got me there. That is smart for kids. But what about when you become an adult? They can track your every move.” I’m not sure why but I have never looked at it that way. I have always felt safe knowing that I could always be found if something bad was to ever happen. “It makes crime pointless, they can find you no matter what. It helps people not to do things they would have to run from because they can’t.”  Rev stands there looking at me. “Jaw dropped. That’s how I feel right now with you. Jaw dropped. Let’s just go get your mom and get back on the road."  We start to walk out of the library to the Questions hall. Don’t worry mom I’m coming for you.

1 comment:

  1. Love it Meisha-bell! Well written and again, keeps me wanting more and guessing what's going to happen next!!

    ReplyDelete