Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Series Wednesday: Timetopia page 31

                Kora, the mother of Timetopia is standing in front of me. “Ava I need you to say something.” I look around. “Did I pass out?” She smiles at me. “No you didn’t.” I look at the window. “Then how is it day time?” She looks at me a little lost. “It was night time when you went through the door?” I look back at the front door which is open. “Yes it was night time. Can you please tell me what’s going on?” She helps me up and sits me on a sofa. “You just time jumped or traveled. Whatever you would like to call it.” Did she just say I time traveled? “How is that possible?” She laughs. “Well I set the door to open to you and send you here, to this time. It’s really that simple.” How was that simple? “Where is my grandmother?” I ask her. Kora is even more beautiful in person than in pictures. Her thick black curls curl perfectly in place. “Your grandmother is dead, I’m afraid.” Why would my mom send me here if she was dead. “Trust me she wasn’t a woman worth meeting.” What did she just say to me? “How did you know my grandma?” Kora is looking up and then back down. “Well… because she was my mother.”  Wait. Am I related to a Five? This would make her my aunt. Everyone always said growing up that I looked like Kora. “So… you’re my aunt then.” Kora’s mouth drops. “No, Ava I’m your mother.” I stand up “No you’re not! My mom is my mother.” Her face gets really serious. “No sweetheart I am your mother. She was your care taker.” I can’t breathe again. “REV!” I scream and I hit the floor. I feel like my chest is going to explode. “Ava you need to relax PLEASE!” I can’t relax or get a breath in. “REV!” I scream again. “Okay, you want Rev, so I’ll get you Rev.” She grabs an orb like Charles’. She drops the orb to the floor and sticks her arm in to the air but part of it disappears. She seems like she is reaching for something. She pulls Rev out of the air. Rev hits the floor next to me. “Really? You had to pull!” She runs to the bathroom. I can hear her throwing up. She comes back out. “Ava are you okay?” Rev asks me. I am breathing better now. I start to cry. “Did you know?” she sighs. “Yeah, I know she is your mom. That’s why you’re so special.”  I start to lose my breath again. “What about my mom? Is she dead?” Rev shrugs.  “No of course not, she is here healing. If you calm down I’ll take you to her. I’m sure you have lots of questions for her. After you see her though, we do need to talk.” Kora says. I try to calm down.
                We walk through a very different Timetopia. She walks me to this house and points to it. “She’s in there Ava.” I run up to the doors and open them and there she is. “MOM” she turns around. “AVA” She hugs me too tightly. I close my eyes to enjoy the moment.  “I thought you died.” I cry to my mom. “No Ava, I’m right here.” She hugs me tighter. I don’t want to ruin this, but I need answers. “Am I your daughter?” My mom pulls me over to a sofa and we sit down. “Yes, you are my daughter.” I take a breath of release. “Blood doesn’t make someone a mother.” What did my mom just say? “I am not your blood?” I ask her. She shakes her head no. I don’t want to believe this. “So I am Kora’s blood?”  My mom nods her head yes. “Does dad know?” My mom laughs. “Yes, your dad knows.” This makes no sense. How could I live with my parents if I am not theirs? “How did you end up with me?” My mom takes a deep breath. “I can’t have babies. Neither can your father. We wanted a baby so bad, but our bodies just didn’t allow it.” Why does no one seem to know how to answer questions? “That’s why you couldn’t have your own kids. That’s not how I ended up with you.” I don’t mean to sound rude. “Well you see, Kora found out we couldn’t have kids before it went into our records. She asked me to fake a pregnancy and she would give me her child. We just had to promise to love you and teach you everything you were going to need for all of this.” I stand up. “What was I going to need for this?” My mom clears her throat. “You would need to learn how to code. How to think for yourself, but also to be kind and compassionate. You needed to see what the other children didn’t.” I start to think really think about my child hood.  How my dad and mom always told me not only believe what I am told. They taught me things that school told me was wrong. I never told anyone about what my parents told me because I didn’t want anything to ever happen to them. I could always tell that we were different than other families. I guess I see why now. “Why didn’t you tell me I wasn’t yours? Did you have any idea what I would have to go through to get here?” My mom opens her arms to give me a hug. I hug her. “I couldn’t tell you. I knew what you were going to face was going to be hard, but I knew you were strong enough to handle it.”  My mom steps back from me and pushes my curls out of my face. “You need to get the rest of the story from Kora.” That’s what I was afraid of. What is she going to tell me? 

1 comment: