Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Series Wednesday: Timetopia Page 33

                I sit here.  The history books never said how the Five came to be. I am not very sure what an hourly worker is but I have a feeling it isn’t anything I would want to do.  “Would you like me to continue with my story? Or do you need a second to soak it all in?” I don’t need any more time. I just need answers. “Continue please.”  She nods her head. “Okay where was I………. Right at was at the part of how we came to be. Well as you know all of us Five had different specialties. So the leaders put all of us together. They wanted us to create a bomb that would wipe out people but not hurt the environment. Something that would leave no track of poison. We tried to create what they asked. Which by the way is almost impossible. Any kind of bomb will affect the environment. So we were all up against the wall working day in and day out, with no home or families to go to. We became a family I guess you could say. Once we all really trusted each other, we started branching out from making bombs. We wanted to see what else we could create.” She stops and laughs. “We ended up creating a technology that no one ever thought was possible. A time machine. We really did have good intentions. To rid the world of all the wars and crime. But we were playing God. And well that can get to a person’s head.  So I am sure at this point in the story your wondering how any of this explains how I had you… right?”  She pauses waiting for my response. I wasn’t thinking that at all. I was thinking about what she meant. It all getting to a person’s head. Was she talking about herself or Charles? I shrug, not really sure what to say. “There are many rules being one of the Five. One of them is that we can’t go too far into the future, not past our own time we came from. At some point we are going to let the people run their own lives again. We were giving you the guide lines of how to care for yourselves. At some point we are going to grow old in whichever part of Timetopia we see fit for us. No more erasing people. We all agreed at some point we would have weeded out all the mentally unstable, so there would be no need for erasing.”

                At some point they plan on letting us run our own lives. No more erasing. “You don’t think we are ready now?” she smiles. “Not yet. Right and wrong is still blurry to all of you. That might however be our fault.”  How could it not be her fault? They are the ones who decided long ago what is right and wrong.  “Why do you think that we don’t know what right and wrong? You are the one who laid out what right is.”  She rolls her eyes. “Well you guys don’t think twice about being erased. You all just do as you’re told. Which isn’t what we intended. If no one thinks for themselves it just takes one loud voice to would rule all of you. None of you even ask what it is to erase someone.” I knew that people got erased because we were told but she was right I never thought about is where they go or how it happens. “So what is it to be erased?” She smiles. “I’m glad you asked.” She gets up and grabs a photo album. She hands to it to me. “I don’t understand.” She smiles “I know you don’t. Open it and look through it before you ask questions.” I open the album. It’s full of pictures of other time Timetopians. Looking through it I still am not sure what any of this has to do with being erased. “Okay I still don’t get it. I’m sorry.” She nods. “None of these people were born. The ones in the beginning became murders or cult leaders, to the end they were just erased for not agreeing with the ways of Timetopia.” How am I looking at pictures of people who were never born? There has never been a murder in Timetopia until Rev got here.  “How?”  Is all that seems to come out of my mouth. “That’s the good thing about being a time traveler. When ever some one would make trouble in paradise we would just go back in time. We would go back all the way back to when their parents were kids and shoot them with a shot that would make them unable to have kids. So they would never be born. That is how we kept murder, perverts and just mentally unstable people from being born. We prevent tragedy or pain. Well, that’s how we originally did it.” I look back down at the photo album but in a different light.  They are all just kids’ photos. “They all became bad people as kids?” She slides the photo album in front of her. “I only kept their kid photos. It was to remind me why we are doing this. I take erasing someone very seriously. Although we vote on it, 3 out of 5 gets some one erased. When they started just erasing people for not agreeing with them… I couldn’t and still don’t understand.”  So what’s the song meant in school. I sing it in my head, “Disagree with the black coats and you will disappear. Never to be heard from, never to fear.” Wow this makes me look at my childhood differently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment