Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Series Wednesday: Timetopia Page 32

                I leave my mom to go talk to my other mom. Actually I’m not sure what to call Kora.  I walk out of the house my mom is staying in and there is Rev sitting outside waiting for me. “You should have told me.” I tell her as I walk by. “Yes I should be the one to tell you that everything you think is a lie. Come on Ava, you know that wasn’t my place.” I stop walking. I trust Rev and there is so much she has kept from me. I just want her to understand what I feel. “No you’re right, its better I am surprised by someone I don’t know. A time traveler at that. This was so much better than my friend telling me. I don’t even really know where you’re from Rev.” I start walking again. “I’m from the Bronx, you always knew that.” She always loves to give me half answers. “There is no Bronx and where you’re from Richard/Charles was still dying. So where are you from exactly? What time are you from? The future or the past?” Rev laughs “Now you’re starting to ask the right questions. I’m from the original time line before they changed it.” I don’t understand how she can be from before. I guess I always suspected she wasn’t from this time line but hearing her say it is another thing entirely. “How is that possible?” She shrugs at me. “I have no idea how any of that works. But you know who does? Kora. Your mom, who is also still waiting to talk to you.”  I know she is waiting but I’m not sure if I want to hear what she has to say.

                I walk up to Kora’s house. I have never seen any of the Five stay in our neighborhoods. They all have a house all on their own so they can focus on what’s best for the people. But as I approach her house, I see Kora out playing with the kids and growing her own garden. She is different in a way the history books never told, but she is also the one that the books don’t have much on. Unlike the others who put their entire life stories out there for us to learn about. Kora sees me walking up and instantly walks over to me. “Are you ready for some answers?” she asks me as she points to her house. “Yes I guess I am.” I start walking to her house.  She follows behind me as I walk in and I sit at her kitchen table. “Would you like something to drink?”  I look at her for a bit. “Yes some water would be nice.”   She grabs me a glass and sits down in front of me.  “I’m sure you have a lot of questions.”  She is right, I do have a lot of questions. “How are exactly are you my mother?” she smiles. “Well, you came out of me that’s how.”  She laughs. I just look at her, I get the joke but I am not sure if this is the time to joke around.  She must see the serious look on my face because she suddenly stops laughing. “Why did my mom raise me and not you?” My question seems to stump her. “Because I am one of the Five, and we made a law that we are not allowed to have children.” I don’t understand, she is one of the Five she makes the rules. “Don’t you make the rules? You are one of the Five aren’t you?” She sits down at the table and puts the water in front of me.  “Yes… I guess that is true but not one of us is supposed to have more power than the others. So we all voted on the rules.” That makes sense. “So why did you have me if you weren’t supposed to?” She gives me a long look, but somehow I feel her looking into my soul. “Well, you have to hear the whole story. Because just telling you one part will make no sense.” She waits for my response. “Okay then, lets here the whole story.”  She takes a drink of her water. “As you already know I was born in a time of war. I was born in a very broken country. You see mothers were paid to have babies in somewhat of a factory. See our country needed workers and bakers and even candle stick makers.” She stops to laugh. I am not sure what the joke is, but she continues. “So I wasn’t born to a mother and father, I was born to a factory. Since my mother was… how do I put this. She was very beautiful and I had only two roads in life. Either to be smart enough to be a scientist or to be sold hourly. All the girls in my class knew this as well. We didn’t have much of a future if we were not smart, so I worked my ass off. I worked harder than all the girls in my class. I made a name for myself. I only had until I was 18 because that’s when they would make the final decision. After 18 they couldn’t make me work in the hourly factor where my body would be sold. Once I was picked as a scientist I would be just that, a scientist for the rest of my days. At my graduation I knew I would be picked to be a scientist. However, 5 of the 10 judges voted me for a home uses position, so I was just to pretty to let go. I was so scared of what that meant. Lucky me a war broke out. Something I had created was needed, so I got to be a scientist. My country was however taken over and I was shipped to another land with a bunch of other scientists. A constitution camp would be the name for it. So there I was, in a new land with a bunch of scientists. And as history knows it, this is how the Five came to be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment