Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Series Wednesday: Family Game night Page 71


    I wake up to see Grace at the end of my bed. “You killed a nurse?” she asks me. “Did I?” I response. “I suppose not. The official story is she killed herself.” Grace says as she comes close to me. “Cahira why did you kill her?” She asks me. “I didn’t care for the tone of voice she took with me.”  I explain to Grace. Grace puts her hands over her stomach and takes a deep breath. “Your back.” Is all she says. “Grace where is dad and mother?” I ask her.  She closes her eyes for just a second, like she is taking what she just said in. “They are at the safe house. Where I am going to be taking you as soon as the doctor signs you out.” Grace looks out the door. I can see the panic all over Grace’s face.
                “Cahira you are good to go. Just make sure to go to your weekly checkups for the next few months.” The doctor says as a nurse walks in the room with a wheel chair. “I am not getting in the chair. I am okay to walk.” I tell the nurse. “It’s hospital policy.” She says to me. I look her up and down; she is a small mousy thing. I would be able to crush her wind pipe with ease. “Cahira, I’ll push you it will be fun.” Grace says to me. She smiles just like when we were girls. “Ok.” I say as I get in the wheel chair.  As Grace pushes me she whispers in my ear. “You can’t just kill people for disagreeing with you.” I hear her words and laugh. “I don’t know what you are talking about.” I response to her. “You forget I was always with you as a child. We were inseparable before your accident and I remember that look in your eyes before you kill someone. The same one you gave that nurse back there.” Grace says. I just laugh and get comfortable in the wheel chair as she pushes me out of the hospital.
                We pull up to a house that looks more like a fortress. We wait outside these big black iron gates. As the gate opens I see a house covered in snow. I assume this is where my parents are waiting for me. I sit in the car for a moment and close my eyes to think. I wonder if I really want to see my parents, I do have lots of questions about what happened to Percy. I get out of the car and Grace opens the front door for me. Here goes nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment