Thursday, November 17, 2016

Random Short story: Grandpa's hourglass

    My grandpa was a strange man. So no wonder he had a strange death. i could still remember him and my grandma fighting when i was a girl. That was before he left her, he said she was just to old minded for him. I am fully grown now and understand my grandpa want to stay young. Maybe that's why he died falling out of a plane. His parachute didn't open. What a not fun way to go. That wasn't the strange thing about it though. It was when they reported it to the cops. The man said it was a 40 year old man who had died but when the cops got there, it was my 75 year old grandpa body laying there dead. The cops were just as confused as the workers. Yes a very strange death for a very strange man.
    "What did dad leave you?" i hear uncle Dan ask my mom. "I'm not sure Dan. Today is his funeral. We haven't gone over anything with the lawyer yet." I can hear the frustration in my mothers voice. My uncle Dan always wanted to be just like his dad. So he travels the world the way my grandpa did with out a care. For some odd reason he never seemed to have as much fun as my grandpa. I always felt like he was chasing my grandpa more than anything. "Mini did they say what was on him when they found him?" Mini is what every one in my family calls my mom. "NO DAN! Why don't you just tell me what your looking for and maybe its in dads things and i can tell you if i have seen it." Dan looks at my mom for a long time. "Do you remember when dad when to south america? When we were in high school. He came back with that hourglass necklace?"  My mom takes a deep breath. "Yes the one engraved with you live and die by the sands of time or something like that." My uncle is practically jumping with excitement. "Yes that's the one! where is it?" My mom shrugs. "I have no idea Dan i haven't seen it in years about the last time i saw dad. Dan walks away all upset. "Mommy what was great grandpa like?" I grab my daughter and hold her. I had her much to young and had to grow up fast, but she has truly made every moment worth it. "He was a man of mystery always traveling the world. I never saw him much. He was to busy having a life time of adventure." My little girl laughs.
15 years later
     "Please sign here ms." i felt flattered he called me ms. I got a package in the mail. Strange i didn't order anything. Maybe its an early birthday gift. Its a good size box. I open it and there is a letter on top of a bunch of pictures on top of another box. I open the letter it seem to be from my grandpa, how is this even possible. "Dear Beth, Happy 40th birthday. I am writing you this letter the day before i die. You see i used up all my sand, so it is simple just my time. But i am passing on to you the greatest gift. It is time in a hourglass. There will be two in the box one to wear around your neck and the other to keep in a safe place. Put your blood on the sand and it will begin. Take the sand out of the big hourglass and for how ever it last you will be young again. But you only have as much sand is in the hourglass once your out your done. There is enough sand for you to live 120 years if you don't use  any of it. But be careful if you do. Youth can be addictive. Don't tell my son about this. He thought i would give this gift to him. But he has had a real chance at life, you however never got to be young much like me. So here is your second chance. love your grandpa." I cant believe what this letter just said. He must have lost his mind. I look into the box at all the photo of him. There are times and date over 30 years in the pictures he didn't seem to age. I look at all the adventures that his second chance allowed him to take.  I open the box inside and pull out the big hourglass the sand white but not dipping down, strange. But in all of the pictures of my grandpa he has the little one around his neck. So the real Question is am I will to live and die by the sands of time?

1 comment:

  1. I like the story a lot. Wondering if I would...possibly, however, it didn'the come with money to travel and have the experiences..🙁

    ReplyDelete