Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Series Wednesday: Timetopia Page 10

                “What did you do?” I scream at Rev. “He had to die. He had a tracker, it was only a matter of time before they would find us.” I’m so mad at her. “NO he didn’t. We could’ve let him go. I don’t think he would have told and by the time he got back we would have been long gone.”  She laughs. “That’s not how it works in war.” War? Who is at war? “What war?” she shakes her head. “Come on we have to get to a main city. We have to ditch the van. Now that they have pictures of it. It’s only a matter of time until they catch up to us.” She is grabbing her backpack out of the van. NO more I am done with this! “NO! Okay things need to change now! We need to do something about your hair if we don’t want to be noticed! No more killing people unless you have to you understand me?!” Rev looks at me and smiles. I’m not sure why she is smiling. I feel a little bad for yelling at her, I have never yelled at any one before. “Okay I won’t kill unless I have to. However this was a have to. You might not see it right now but every choice I make is for the best. And I like my hair.”  I can’t help but laugh now but Rev has been right about everything. I just don’t agree with killing anyone. “You can like it all you want, but it’s a sign that you don’t belong here. If you’re willing to kill people so we aren’t found you should be willing to shave your head to not be noticed.”  Rev’s head turns so fast I thought it was going to fly off. “HOLD UP! What did u just say? Shave what? Because I know you’re not talking about my hair!”  It looks like she wants to kill me. “Yes your hair. You can wear a wig until it grows back, but you can’t keep it that red color.” She shakes her head. “Yes that’s fine but I can dye it. I don’t need to shave it, are you crazy?” Dye? I’m not sure what this is. “Is that how you got it this color? By dying it?” she looks lost. “Is that why all the old people have grey hair? They won’t let you dye your hair?” I look at my hair. I can’t imagine it that color. “What is dye? Is it changing your hair red?” She laughs. “No it’s just changing your hair color. To any color you want. Where I am from people want to keep their hair from turning grey or they just hate their hair color and so they change it.” I don’t understand some one not liking their hair color or caring that their hair turns grey. But it must be nice to have the choice to change anything you want to about yourself. That must be why the Five took it away to teach us to love ourselves the way we are. “As fun as that seems, how are you supposed to love yourself if you don’t even know what you really look like?” Rev looks at me. “Yea I think that’s one of the many things about home that’s messed up.” I look at Rev. Maybe this is why she is in Timetopia.

                “We need to get rid of the van. Plus we are going to need to find another way to get around.” Rev is packing her back pack and popping the hood to the van. She has lit the engine on fire. She walks over to the motorbike and gets on it. “Well are you coming?” Rev looks at me. “Yea, how are we supposed to get a new car?” She laughs. “The same way we got the van. I’ll steal it out of town.” I laugh at her.  “Why would you steal a car? We can just go to the car dealer and tell them we need one.”  Her head turns and looks at me. “What? They just give you a car?” I laugh. “No you have to pass the driver’s test and then you get a car.” She sighs. “A test great. So we go to the DMV to take the test?” she is starting the bike. “No we go to the library. What’s a DMV?” she tilts her head with a smile. “Thank goodness they got rid of that! That is one great thing the Five did. The DMV was an evil place that stole time and made everyone who went in miserable. The people who work there hate their lives let alone their jobs. They hate to help people and follow pointless rules.” Wow this DMV place sounds horrible.  It must be why the Five got rid of it. Rev starts the bike and we are off to the next city. I can’t help but wonder if the Five know what happened at the Questions hall. What if it’s not them but just people who have lost their way. I wonder if I could get a hold of the one in our time and if they would have answers. Maybe my grandma will know. But for now, onto the city.

2 comments: