Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Random Short story: The love in the eye of the storm

    My uncle never married he was a different kind of man. He was a meteorologist. He was always out chasing storms. My mom always said he loved the chaos of it all. I never gave it much thought until the summer I went to stay with him. "Why did your mom send you here again during storm season? Does she not want to keep you?" I think he is making a joke. "She said i need to start taking life more serious and focus on my future. So i have no idea why she sent me to you." I smile I feel some what awkwardly as I look at all the picture on the walls of huge storms. "Right, Well there is your room. There is a storm coming this way in a few days. So I will be out, there is a shelter under the house where you will be safe." I look at him. He sounds slightly excited for the storm. I cant help but notice these pictures of the storm are different then any others i have ever seen in books. I'm not sure what it is. Most are in the eye of the storm, how he manages to get photo in that has always been a mystery to us all. I go to check out my room I lay down and get some rest.
     Something about those pictures keep haunting me in my sleep. So i get up and grab them off the walls. I line them up in chronological order. I sit there four hours looking at them. The storm almost feels inviting. I feel obsessed now, what is it about these darn photos? I start to take them out of the frames. Pictures from behind them fall out. There is my uncle standing in the middle of the storms holding someone. In one of them they are kissing. Here my family thought he was gay and didn't want to tell us. Who is this mystery girl and why is she in the middle of the storm with my uncle? I hear the alarms sound off. The storm is hitting close to us.  I hear my uncle running through the house. I peak out my door and see him grab a gift. Why is he grabbing a gift in the middle of the storm? Is it for this girl? I run out of my room. "Take me with you." I yell. "I can't! I can't promise you that you will come back." I don't care i am way to curious now. "Who is she?" He looks at me and looks at the walls in the living room. "I don't have time to explain right now. If your going to come then come on." I run to the truck. He is driving like a mad man. Well others are flying the other direction he is drive toward the storm.  We drive up the winds are so strong the truck feels like it is going to flip. There she is in the middle of all the winds waiting. She lights up when she sees the truck. "Stay here understand?" my uncle tells me. I nod yes, I mean where i am going to go? He run out into the storm. The killer winds don't seem to touch him. He run into her arms. The winds don't seem to touch her either. I hear on the radio the storm is getting worse, people are getting hurt. She seems to be crying and my uncle handing her the gift. She kisses him and lifts up into the wind. "NO!" I scream she is going to die. But as she goes the storm comes to a stop. What is happening here? My uncle walks back to the car. His head down. I am freaking out a little. "Did she just kill her self?"  My uncle laughs "No she didn't kill her self." How did she not killer her self? "Your joking right she just flew off into the storm. I hate to be the one to tell you this but that leads to death." I put my hand on his shoulder to easy the pain. "She is the storm."  he looks at me waiting for my reaction. He is crazy or is he? she is all of the picture of the storm right in the middle. "OKAAAAAAY? Lets say i don't believe you. Convince me."  He sighs. "I might as well tell some one." His head low practically in his lap. "Yeah might as well."
   "It started when i was 17 I met a girl on vacation in the islands. She was the most amazing girl i had ever met. She told me she loved me. So we ran off together, we left our families and everything we knew. We didn't make it far before her mother found us. What she was doing was agonist everything law of nature. You see she was the daughter of mother nature and father time. she was suppose to be learning about us humans so should would value our lives. So one day when she be came mother nature shouldn't kill all of us for fun or anything like that i guess. She fought with her mom giving up everything to be with me. So her mom said if that how she wanted it to be. She made her the eye of the storm. So when ever she is here in physical form a horrible storm hits, the longer she stays the worse it get killing many."  WOW. If i hadn't seen her in the storm i wouldn't of believed him. I saw her she was real and so i believe him. "Why don't you go with her?"  He sits there silently for a moment. "I might no survive. My body was go off in to many pieces kind of thing. There is a chance my soul would be with her but we aren't sure. So she doesn't want to risk it. But i cant keep living this way it has been 13 years of this." He seems so broken we go back to the house.
     The summer is almost over and so is the storm season. There is suppose to be one more big storm. My uncle prepares of it and starts to pack his thing he going to the other side of the world for their storm season. How could he live this way? He seems like a part of him is missing all the time. I would risk it if i was him. Just for the chance at true love. I hear the alarms sound in the distance the storm is getting closer. He runs to the truck and i run after him and jump in. "Isn't true love worth the risk?" i ask him. He smiles. "Yes it is." We pull up to the middle of the storm and there she stands. "Here are the keys." He hands them to me. He runs out to her. She again is crying as she holds him. He lets her go and she starts to go up into the wind. I guess it wasn't worth the risk. My uncle waves at me and turns around running toward her and jumps holding on to her. Both of them get taken into the winds. He did it. I'll never know if he survived but i do know this was 20 years ago and we haven't had anything bigger than a rain storm.

1 comment: