Monday, March 6, 2017

Random short story: the lies she made true

      When you wake up and everything that was once yours is gone at your own hand, you cant help but really take a good look at yourself. How did a few lies do all of this? I was always told how good a lie can be freeing. If you get in trouble lie your way out. That was until the day i met her. She was beautiful and interesting, she was completely different from my wife. I loved my wife do not get me wrong but I got bored years ago. Once we had our kids everything changed. I guess I really wasn't ready to be a dad. So many nights i would say i was working late and would get to be some one else for a night with some one who was not my wife.
      I was out just like any other night telling Linda my wife i was working late. The bar was filled with lots of beautiful women this night. I was excited at who i could become. When i saw her in a yellow dress. She was tucked away in a corner of the bar. She looked so sweet and innocent, I had to have her.  So i walked up and offered to buy her a drink. Her eyes slightly grey she looked up at me. "Do you mind if i sit with you?" She smiled. "No go right ahead." i pulled up the chair next to her. "Hi i am Brandon." She looks down at her drink. "Are you now?" she replies. I'm not sure how to proceed with an answer like that I can't tell if she is flirting. My name isn't really Brandon but she doesn't need to know that. "Yes, really now." I laugh. "Brandon, I must say you are very handsome. but i must give you a warning. Anything you say to me must be the truth. I know this sounds crazy but i have a gift of honesty. No one can lie to me, anything they say is there new reality. So I hope your pick your words wisely." A challenge I cant help but be drawn in. She is challenging me to lie to her. She must be nuts. But she sure is hot, so ill play along. I spend the rest of the night tell her lie after lie. I told her i had no parents that they had passed away, she asked if i was married i said no way. She went on to ask if i had any kids and once again i said no. I mean she really didn't need to know about them. Happy hour was coming to an end and she was hanging on every word i said. "So would you like to get out of here?" I asked her. "I would love to but can't i have to get back." BACK!? she didnt just waste my time did she. "Where do you have to get back?" she laughs "I have to get back to work."  She got up and gave me a hug. "Can you be just a little late and spend more time with me?" She laugh at me. "Trust me come tomorrow, you will be looking for me. The next 24 hours will change your life Maxwell." She whispers in my ear. She called me by my real name. She tilts her head at me and walks away.
     I get home after a wasted happy hour. There she comes running up to me screaming "Daddy." my beautiful baby girl. She is the only part that i hate about lying. She has a picture in her hand that she drew for me. "Daddy look." I look at the stick figure. Linda is standing there giggling. "At school today they asked her to draw her favorite superhero and she picked you." I hope my daughter never finds out who i am really am. I love her but i hate feeling chained to this house. I hug her and take her to her room to get her to bed. I rock her to sleep. The way my daughter looks at me i will never get over. i lay her down in her bed. I walk to my room, "How was work today ?" Linda asks. "It was long." i start to change into comfy clothes. "Your mother called. She wants all of us to go see her this weekend." Linda is a good women and everyone wanted her in high school when we met. I won her heart and it once made me feel like the luckiest man alive. she deserves better i know. "Sounds great. i am going to watch some T.V. before bed." I give her a kiss on the cheek and head to my man cave.   I watch my sports news and now time for bed. I cant stop thinking about that women. She said i would look for her. I wonder what she meant.
       I feel cold so i open my eyes and i'm laying out on the street. I'm not sure how i got here. I am out here like a homeless man. I get up and start trying to find my way to my house. I see Linda kissing a man, who is getting in my car. I don't understand. "Linda!"i yell at her. She looks frighten. "Go away or I will call the cops,"  I stop walking towards her. "Its me Maxwell." The man in the car stops. "I am not sure who you are but i am Maxwell and if you don't leave my house i will contact the authorities."  I run to my parents house. how is this man calling himself Maxwell.  I run all the way to my parents house but they are not home. i use the key hidden inside the fake rock to get in. I go to my old room and grab some clothes and shower. As i get out of the shower and get dressed i notice all the pictures on the walls aren't of me any more. They are of that guy the same one kissing Linda. This makes no sense. I walk to the kitchen to make some food. i hear the front door open and its my mother. She screams, "Who are you!? Get out of my house." She doesn't recognize me either. she is calling the cops on her phone i run out of the house. where do i go? The woman she said my lies would become my reality. I need to find her. I go back to the bar. There she is in the corner. i march up to her. "What did you do?" she smiles "Oh Brandon i warned you." Brandon!? that is not my name. "My name  is Maxwell." She starts laughing. "Not any more its not. Here is your wallet you dropped here last night. Your name is Brandon now, you have no family. No parents because they passed away like you said. No wife and kids. You are now all alone as you proclaimed you were. What you did not appropriate you now no longer have." She had me my wallet and disappears. I am now all alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment