Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Series Wednesday: Timetopia page 29

                Rev and I are just staring at each other. “How much of it do you get?” Rev asks me. “Enough to get why you’re so mad at me.” Rev never had anyone but the nun. I wonder what a nun is… I wonder if nun was her job title.   “I just want my revenge.” I hear the rage in her voice. “Rev, I have a few questions.” She takes a deep breath. “I thought you might. You want to know what a church and a nun are.” Those are good questions but that’s not what I want to ask. “Yes I do want to know that, but more importantly, how is it that Richard became Charles? Where did either name come from?”  She finally sits down. “They are both his name. He is Richard Charles the Third. Charles is just a middle name that’s all. Why he started going by it I might never know.” Oh okay that make sense to me. “So what is a nun?”  Rev takes another deep breath. “It’s a woman who dedicates her life to helping others. She isn’t allowed to be selfish or get married or have kids. Her life is about serving God. But umm… you don’t really know about him, so I am not sure how to explain that one.” I can’t believe that people would dedicate their lives to helping others with no hope of a family. There is so much I don’t understand but I don’t think I have the time to ask. They will be coming for us soon. “I have so many more questions but they can wait. What are we going to do now?” Rev sighs. “We have to keep going. We need to get to your grandma’s house. That’s where all the answers are.” I smile hoping that my grandma can answer all of my questions. “What about James? Is he going to come with us?”  Rev looks over at him. “No he can’t. It’s too dangerous. We have to go because we have no choice. He needs to go back home where it is safe for him.” I agree with Rev, ever since we started on this path to my grandma’s house people have died or been hurt. I don’t want to see that happen to James. “I agree with you but I am not going to tell him he can’t come. Plus I don’t think he is going to listen.” Rev knows I’m right, I can see it on her face.

                She walks right up to James. “Thank you for saving us.” James smiles. “Did it kill you to say that?” Rev rolls her eyes. “Yes it did. Look we have to talk.” James has a look on his face. “So Charles is your husband?” James looks down. “Yes he is. So now you see why you can’t come with us.” James doesn’t say anything. He just grabs his back pack out of the van. Rev just stands there, she won’t turn around to look at him grabbing his stuff. I run up to James and give him a hug. “Thank you for everything.” He looks at me. “You ever find yourself in a bind again, just yell out Double O7 and I’ll be there. Okay?” I nod yes. “How are you going to get back?” Rev asks James. She is still not facing him. “I know my way. Don’t worry about me.” James tells her. Rev walks over to him and gives him a hug. “I’m sorry.” I hear her whisper. I can’t hear what else she is telling him. “Come find me when this is all over. Okay?” He tells Rev. She looks down and nods yes. He smiles and walks back toward the city.  “We’ll just find him when this is all over.” I tell Rev. She looks at me funny. “I am going home when this is all over.” She walks to the driver’s seat. “Wait you mean to the Bronx?” She turns on the van. “Yup, get in the van.” How is she going home after all of this? “How?  Do you even have a life there you want to get back to?” I get in the passenger seat. “Yes I do. Ava I don’t belong here in Timetopia. This isn’t my home. Although my home is flawed there is still a chance to fix it. Here, there is no chance.” Fix it? I sit there for a bit. What happens when Rev goes home? What happens when I get to my grandma’s? I get answers to what?  Why my mom planned all of this for me? I don’t understand. I still don’t even know where my mom is or if she is okay. “What’s going on in that head of yours?” Rev asks me. “What if we don’t go to my grandmas?” Rev looks over at me. “Are you crazy?” Rev asked me. What kind of question is that? “No, Rev what happens when we get there? You go back to the Bronx and my dad is being watched and my mom is missing. You’re all I have… I don’t even know my grandma.”  Rev just keeps driving. I can tell she is really thinking about what she is going to say next. “When destiny comes knocking at your door and you try and close it, it will come through the window. If you close the window it will blow off the roof. You can’t run from destiny.”  I hear her but the words fall flat on my ears.  I feel like nothing will ever be the same. “Ready or not, we are about one city away. You should get some rest. By the time you wake up we should be there.”  I don’t know how she thinks I can sleep. We aren’t far at all. I wonder what my grandma is going to be like? I lay my seat back.  I try to close my eyes for a bit. I have a feeling once we get there everything is going to change. Well I guess when you really think about it, it already has.

No comments:

Post a Comment