Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Series Wednesday:Timetopia page 25

                I find myself sitting here wishing we were back at James’ house. I miss having a home. I look over at Rev and she has a huge smile on her face, the kind that lets me know she is about to do something bad. “Hold on!” She says as she drives off the road into the tall trees. The car behind us follows. Rev stops the car in the forest. “Drive away if you have to. The most important thing is for you to get to your grandma’s. Do you understand me?” She kind of yells at me like I am not right next to her. I nod yes. “No Ava I need to hear you say it.” I am not sure why she is being like this. “Yes I understand.” She smiles and grabs her guns. She gets out of the car shooting. I look back at the car behind us. He is in shock and starts to back up his car, as Rev shoots right through the windshield. He is no longer moving. I get out of the car. “Is he dead?” I ask Rev. “Let’s hope so.” Rev walks over to the car with her gun still pointing at him. He is dead, I can see the holes through his neck and chest. Rev puts her guns away and opens his door. “What are you doing?” I ask her as she is pulling his body out. “We need to know how he knew to follow us. Also, we need to see if he has anything that might help us to get to your grandma’s without any more interruptions.” I feel like what she is doing is wrong searching the body of a man she just killed. “He is dead there is nothing he can do that can help us. We should just leave. It’s bad enough you killed him.” Rev pulls out a gun from his belt. Well she was right about that.  She grabs a key card out of his pocket and his id. She moves on to the car. “Ava he has the flyer. He must have printed it out before Erick deleted it.”  She grabs some more stuff out of his car. She starts to head back to our car. She gets in the driver seat while I am still standing here. I can’t help but look at this poor guy lying dead on the floor. What if he meant us no harm?
                “I get why you killed him but why you couldn’t wait to see if he was going to hurt us. He might have wanted to help us for all you know.” She laughs at me. I’m sure she is going to say something not so nice to me. I get back into the car.  She starts to drive back on to the main road. “What is a hound?” She asks me.  “A hound? Like the dog?” I respond, I’m not sure if they have dogs where she is from. “He is a hound, that’s what this little ID thing says.” She hands me his ID. It does say that under his job title. I have never heard of a hound before. It must be higher than a manager. Then again, next year is the year I learn about all the different jobs. Next year was supposed to be my placement year, where my perfect job picks me. “I have never heard of anything like this. Nor have I ever met anyone who worked as a hound.” Rev’s eyes sharpen. I can tell she is thinking really hard. She is completely silent and her cheek bones somehow get sharper when she is thinking. “Have you ever heard of a bounty hunter? I’m pretty sure the answer is no but I still have to ask.” She is right, I have no idea what that is. “Nope no idea what that is.” She sighs a little. “I think that’s what a hound is in your world. Bounty hunters hunt people down for money. That’s their job, to find people that someone else wants for whatever reason. They are usually not the nicest guys.” If what she is saying is true I can’t say I’m surprised, I feel like everyone is after us at this point. I wish more than anything I could ask my mom what is going on. Why didn’t she ever warn me about any of this? I feel so overwhelmed I think I just need to close my eyes for a bit. 

                I am looking up at my bright red kite. It’s swaying back and forth in the wind. I hear my mom and dad laughing behind me. “Good job Ava.” My dad says. I run faster to make it go higher. Then I realize how far I just ran, so I start to run back to my parents. They are fighting. They never fight… I walk over slowly. “The hounds will be after her if we go along with this.” My dad says to my mom. “It is better than them finding out about her. They will execute her if they ever do. We always knew this was the plan.”  My dad doesn’t seem to like that answer. “She is our daughter. You would think we would have more of a say.” My mom puts her hand on my dad’s shoulder. “She is meant for great things. She will be the one to change everything. We have to have faith in that.” My dad pulls away from my mom. “At what cost?” My dad looked over at me and then my mom. “Sweetheart how long have you been standing there? My mom laughs as she picks me up. She wraps me in her warm embrace. I remember this day. All of the sudden I feel a jolt. I wake up and the car is in the air. “Hold on!” Rev yells as our car hits the ground on its’ side and then it keeps rolling. What just happened? Our car stops rolling and we are upside down. Rev is reaching into the back grabbing the guns. “What just happened?” I ask her. “They ran me off the road. Shoot anyone who comes near you!” She hands me a gun then cuts her seat belt off. All of the sudden I see round balls roll up to the car and smoke is starting to come out of them. I am feeling sleepy. 

1 comment: