Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Series Wednesday: Timetopia page 36

                She says it like this means something to me. None of this shows me why she had to have me. I stand there just looking at her as confused as I feel. “No, I don’t see why you had me.” She looks over at me. “To change all of this from happening, to stop this from ever coming true.” I don’t understand how I am going to stop this. “How?” She looks past me. I turn to see what she is looking at. Rev has her gun out pointed at some man. “What is that?” He is asking about the gun. “Want to find out?” Rev asks. Kora walks up to Rev and pushes the gun down. “It is time to go back. We have been here long enough.” Kora puts the orb down on the floor and walks through, Rev and I follow.  I don’t have that falling feeling, but a gliding feeling instead. We are back in the Timetopia we came from. I have even more questions for Kora now.  Rev still has the history book in her hands. “Give us some time?” Kora says to Rev. “Sure thing, I have a comedy to read anyways.” She waves the history book as she walks out the front door. “She is a character, isn’t she?” Kora says as she walks over to the kitchen. She starts to make tea. “Did you have me to fulfill some kind of plan?” She puts the pot of water on the stove. “Yes I did.” I wish I wasn’t hurt by how easy her answer is to say. I saw the pain she felt when she was trying to give me away. That however doesn’t change the way I feel right now. I really wish it did though.  I saw how much she loved me, but that might now change because of why she had me. I was not made out of love, I was made for something else.
                “I know that might not be what you wanted to hear... I can see the pain on your face.” I know I had all these questions I wanted to ask, but none of that seems as important as this. “What do you need me to do?” she hugs me, “It’s simple. I need you to destroy the time machine.”  She releases her embrace and hands me the orb. “How?” She points to the sofa. I don’t want to even look down at the orb. I don’t know where it might take me. “You will need all of them. Then you can go back to the beginning and destroying them. Or well back to the future. Whichever way you want to look at time, I suppose I look at time differently.”  She wants me to go back and make sure the time machine was never made. This is to intense! How can I do that? I need some air. “I need to go outside.” I stand up to head to the door. “I know this is a lot to take in Ava, but it’s the right thing to do. No one should play god. Not the way we did.  If you change things and go back with Rev to a time where people had free will, maybe you could make a difference.” I hear her and maybe she is right. But what about Timetopia? I wouldn’t be able to save it. I walk outside and she doesn’t stop me. Rev is out here playing with the kids. I watch her for a bit. She is laughing and so full of life. Rev is completely different than anyone I have ever met. She makes her own choices, not caring at all what others think. Even though I think they are wrong sometimes, they are still hers.

                “What’s wrong?” my mom walks up to me as I sit there watching Rev and the kids. I am not sure what to tell her. So many lies she told me and yet I understand. “She wants me to make sure the time machines were never built, she wants me to time travel and make a new world.” My mom hugs me and just being in her warm embrace makes me want to say no. “Do it.” She whispers in my ear. “What?! How can you say that? Everything we know would be gone.” She smiles at me. “If Kora feels like this is the best way, well sweetie it is the best way. There are a lot of things here in Timetopia that I knew nothing about before the museum, but ever since that day… Well I see now. Kora said if you change things people will have the right to pick what kind of life they live and we will all have freedoms we never thought possible.”  I look at her. I love my mom and I always thought of her as the smartest woman I knew, but today I see she is much like the others. She believed what they told her, she wasn’t like me always questioning things. So now that Kora is telling her this new world is going to be better she believes her. I, however, heard Erick and Kora’s stories. The world they came from is not the one I want to bring back. A world of war and pain, a world where Rev was locked in a hole. I realize my mom is not the one to talk to about this. I kiss her on the cheek and head back inside. “Why would you want a world like you came from to ever be possible? If I go back and stop you, that is the world that will be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment