Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Series Wednesday: Timetopia Page 40

                “Where are we?” Rev asks as she looks around. “We are in the forest.” I respond pointing at all the trees. “Yes I can see that. But why? I thought we were going to Lily to fight.”  I point at the house a few miles up. “That’s where the Five stay, it’s Lily’s house.” Rev nods her head as I talk. “Okay... The booby-trap thing must be why Kora put us all the way out here.” Rev says as she looks at all the trees. “Yeah that makes sense. What are you looking at?” She is getting down low. “I am looking for triggers. Like wires or lasers maybe even motion sensors.” I look too, but I have no idea what to even look for. “Oh well do you see any?”  She stands up. “I’m not too sure. Only one way to find out. Come on.”  We start heading toward the house.  Rev is walking kind of slow. So I follow her lead. We are walking past all these big beautiful trees.  Then I hear the crack of a branch. Rev pulls me behind a tree. “That wasn’t us.” Rev whispers. I peak out from behind the tree. I see wellness checkers. I pull back behind the tree. “Wellness checkers.” I whisper back to Rev.  Rev smiles as she grab her guns out. “If you kill them, I am sure she will hear it and we will never get the orb. She will time jump to keep it safe.” I simply explain to her. I can see her thinking but she knows I’m right. She starts to put her guns away. “I can’t shoot them but I can still kill them.” She says as she grabs her knife. She smiles once again at me as she slides away from the tree. I get this feeling like I can’t breathe. I peak out from behind the tree and I don’t see Rev anywhere. I look up at the branches above me. The trees are so big, all the tree branches intertwine. I could run right across them, no one would ever even see me.
                I put the orb in my bag and I start to climb. I run across the branches and see Rev below me. “Rev!” I whisper. She can’t hear me. I see her sneaking up on one of the wellness checkers. She walks right up behind him and grabs him. I need to stop her before she does something she doesn’t need to.  I start to climb down. “Tell me what you know. How do I get into the house?” The wellness checker looks at Rev for a second. “This is Lily’s house. You can’t just go in unannounced. You can go in at the appropriate time like all the others wanting to see the Five.”  She puts her knife to his throat. “I think I can go in whenever I please.” He hands her his key card. “This only lets you in the front door.” She smiles at him. He is being helpful, I don’t want her to hurt him. “Can we let you go and you not say anything?” He looks at me. I know my question is kind of hard for him. “No, I have to tell when I don’t have my card.” Why would he say that? Why couldn’t he just lie? Rev runs her knife across his throat, I close my eyes.

                I climb back up the tree as Rev hides his body. “Why is it always so easy for you to kill?”  I ask her as she climbs up to me. She looks at me, “Killing isn’t easy, it’s surviving that is the easy part.” I shake my head. I am not sure what to say to her. So I just start walking towards the house.  The branches hold us up no problem. The closer we get to the house the more Wellness checkers I see. I never realized how many are needed for one of the Five. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to get in one of the Five’s houses before. I would’ve never thought so before today. “Stop.” Rev grabs me. The branches are all cut off by the house, they must have thought someone might be coming for her. Why else would you cut all the branches near the house? “How are we going to get in?” I ask Rev. “We are walking in the front door. We have no other choice.” I look around at all the Wellness checkers. They are bringing a man in with his hands are tied together. He is an older man from what I can tell, and I can’t help but think I know him from somewhere. I hit Rev and point for her to look at him. “Bond.” She says. Wait James? That can’t be, that man is like 60 years old. We must be in the future. Why do they have James? They take him into the house. I look back to my side and Rev is gone. This can’t be good. “Give me the old man!” she yells as she walks up. “I am sorry miss, we are going to need you to go back to town. That old man is needed by Lily of the Five. It is an honor.” Rev laughs. “You know what else is an honor? Dying for your beliefs no matter how wrong they are.” The men look at each other very confused. Rev pulls her gun out and starts shooting. I stay up in the branches to hide from all the bullets, but I keep a close eye on Rev. From the corner of my eye, I see a man run up behind Rev with a gun. Before I know it, I have the gun that was in my pack, in my hands and I’m aiming at the man that’s about to hurt Rev. Without hesitation, I shoot and the bullet hits him right between the eyes and he collapses. Rev looks back at him and then up at me with an expression I can’t read. I… I… I just killed a man. 

1 comment: