Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Series Wednesday: Timetopia Page 52

                Kora made a swift exit out of the room after what I said, leaving me and Rev with a bunch of papers about the future. "Don't feel bad Ava. You didn't say anything wrong. You’re right about them testing on you guys here. It’s no different." Rev tries to comfort me. But I don't feel bad, I just don't understand Kora's reaction. "What did James say when you went to see him?" I try to change the subject to something else. "Before or after I told him he’s going to have a daughter who hates him? But not to worry because we’re going to bring back my timeline so he will never have been born, so she won’t hate him." Rev is hurt, I can tell. "Yeah after that what did he say?" I respond. Her eyes lock on me as she tilts her head. "I hate that you’re not being sarcastic. At least then I could say something back and not feel bad."  I shrug at her. I’m not sure she ever feels bad after saying what's on her mind. "Are you ready to face West?" Kora asks as she reenters the room. I look up and grab my back pack. "Sure." I say. Rev runs to the room to grab her bag. "Guns lock and loaded. So I am ready."  She smiles as she takes the safety off of her gun. I grab the orb and off we go.
                We are in the middle of a city not too far from where I grew up. Everyone is looking at us strangely. “Why whenever you take us to find one of the Five you never take us directly to them?” Rev asks me. “I am not sure to be honest. When I sent you to James where did it take you?” I ask her. “Right to him. I wonder if their orb protects them? Either that or you don't know how to work that thing."  Rev says as she turns to look at me. "I’m not the inventor of it. So, there is a very good possibility I am not using it correctly. All that aside we need to find West." I walk out of the center off to the side. "Is he in his house?" Rev asks me. "I would think so. West has a home that no one is allowed in without him. When it isn't his year he locks it down." Rev looks around. "Well, where is it?" I point for her to follow me.   

                We get up to the end of the street. "We should take the tunnels." Rev says to me as she points to the sewer lines under us. "Okay, let’s go." We walk over to the man hole and Rev lifts it with no problem. "Glad they still have sewer lines." She laughs as she jumps in. I take the ladder that's on the side. We start heading down the tunnel using the orb to guide us. “So, you never really told me how things went with James...” Rev’s still silent, but her silence seems to fill the dark tunnels. “Ava… life since I met you has been crazy. So, saying good bye to James was just strange. Thinking that I was going back to my life in the Bronx without ever seeing him again… It didn’t matter what we said after that realization.”  Rev says then she starts to walk again.  The orb light beams light to show us we are here. “How do we get in?” I look around and there is no way up. Rev laughs. “Saying good bye wasn’t my only reason for visiting James. I needed some answers about West. Like how he sealed all the ways from the tunnels into his house. Expect for the trick door.” Rev walks over to a brick. She pulls a brick out and the wall moves in. She smiles at me. Well this makes sense now. She wouldn’t just go to say good bye. She got information from James, since he was very trusted by West.  We walk in a dark hall way and the orb lights it up. “I wish you wouldn’t do that.” Rev says looking at the orb. “I can’t help it. I just thought it was dark and the orb lit up. But if you want to wonder around in the dark I can just put it away.” I tell her. “No, I just don’t trust that thing.”  I don’t understand why Rev keeps referring to the orb like that. I look down at the light, I guess the orb is alive. I’m really unsure about that however. “Are you coming? We are almost to the stairs that will lead us up.” Rev says as she keeps walking ahead of me. “What if he is waiting for us up there?” I don’t know why I am more scared of West then I am any of the other Five. I have always been afraid of West even as a girl. I remember when he came to our school to see how all of our testing and gardens were coming along. He wasn’t a tall man like Charles. He had larger muscles then any man in my side of Timetopia that he hid so well under his suit. I still remember having to meet him. I had the greenest garden. The way he walked into the room felt threatening. I was only 9 years old at the time. I wonder if he remembers meeting me or how when he spoke to me that day I couldn’t say a thing. I still remember his voice. “How did you get your garden to grow so big?” West asked me as he pointed outside to my section of my class garden. I stood there completely speechless. He laughed at my frozen demeanor assuming I was as he called it, “star stuck”. I wonder what he will think now when he sees me and Rev. We finally get to the stairs. Well, ready or not we are going to face West. 

No comments:

Post a Comment