Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Series wednesday: Timetopia Page 51

                I sit in the gardens watching my mom work on the plants. Time seems to just fly by when I watch my mom. I always knew I got my green thumb from her. “Where’s Rev?” I hear Kora ask from behind me. “Oh you know Rev, she could be anywhere.” I’m not sure why I said that. I just have a feeling like Rev wouldn’t want anyone to know where she is. “Well, why don’t you find her? We need to go over the next one on the list.” Kora says like the list is long, she is act like there is more than just West and Charles left on the list.  I walk back to the house and get the orb. I think of Rev, drop the orb, stick my hand in and pull her out.  “That was longer than an hour.” Rev says as she stands up. “Sorry I was sitting with my mom in the garden, time got away from me.”  I explain. She laughs. “It was nice to have more time, but you do realize I was there for 3 days.” I look at Rev. How is it that I left her for 3 days? “No… I thought you were there for 3 hours.” She smiles. “So what reminded you to get me?” I almost forgot. “Kora wants to go over the next one on the list.” Rev looks at me. “I hope it’s Charles so I can kill him finally.”  She starts to walk out into the living room.

                “So, who is next?” Rev asks as she walks in the room. “That would be West. It wouldn’t be smart to go after Charles since he knows you’re here. He’ll be waiting for you to make a move, even if he isn’t sure what that move is. He will have to be last.”  I sit down. “Okay, so then tell us about West.” I say as I look at all the papers on the coffee table. “Wait are we going to do this here?” Rev asks. “What do you mean?” Kora asks. “Well we always do the break down at the table. So, if we’re going to do the break down we do it at the table… with food.”  I can’t help but laugh. Kora shakes her head. “West will be the hardest to get the orb from.” I pick the papers up off the table and start looking at them. “Okay just ignore me. I’m going to at least cut up some fruit while we do this.” I can’t help but laugh at Rev; she always has to have something to say. I look at the paper clipping about genetic mutation. The government required all embryos to be mutated, they were all to be enhanced. “So West was born to this country I am guessing.” Kora looks at Rev cutting fruit in the kitchen. “Yes he was raised in what was known as America.” Rev stops cutting fruit at what Kora says. “Wait, no way! I did not just hear you say that in the future America requires little baby eggs. There is no way the people would let that happen, they would rally and fight!”  Rev says as she walks over to us with her bowl of fruit. “There was a bad war on U.S. soil. They poisoned the water and as a result, people were no longer able to have babies. They were dying in their mother’s uterus. Genetic mutation was the only way to save their country.”  Rev sits on the floor with her bowl of fruit. “So, they’re going to poison our land… Who does it?” Rev asks while looking through the paper with me. “It doesn’t matter. All that matters is that West is unlike most people you have ever seen. His muscle regenerates faster than you can hurt it. He is built for war and he was trained his entire life to fight.” Kora’s voice makes me slightly fearful of West. “Is this true about America?” Rev asks, holding a piece of paper. “What is it?” Kora asks. “That there is only 100,000 people left?” Kora grabs the paper out of Rev’s hand. “No, this isn’t true. There was no more America when I met West. It had all been destroyed.”  Kora says as she hands back the paper to Rev. “Oh.” Rev says as she looks through more of the papers. “Most of the world had been destroyed when we left. That’s why we built the orbs. To try and fix the world’s problems. I’m not really sure how that changed. How we went from saving the world to trying to run it… I might never know.” Kora seems upset. I definitely don’t want to tell her about the fact that I don’t want to give up Timetopia. I know no matter what I decide to do, I need all the orbs. Whoever has the orbs has the power. “How did they know genetically mutating the embryos wouldn’t make some funky humans? I mean didn’t they think that the kids would come out with two heads or some other weird deformity?”  Rev asks Kora. I feel like this would be the perfect moment to tell Rev that she is one of the reasons they know. “They tested on Embryos for hundreds of years in secret.” That’s it! That’s all Kora has to say. NOW! I sit here holding my breath but nothing.   “Yep, in secret and lies. Sounds about right. Let me guess governments did it for years and years? They were probably funding underground laboratories.” I look down, Rev has no idea. “Yes of course that’s how it always was with governments.” I get kind of mad because it seems like that is happening here to. “Don’t they do that here to?” I ask, and Kora’s face drops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment