Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Series Wednesday: Family game night Page 9


Percy made it clear to me and my family that he will let us know where he stands the next family game night. He will either be with me or with them. My stomach turns at the thought of this. I wait at Chance’s house to see if Percy is going to show up.  Chance holds me in his arms. “Are you going to tell me what is weighing so heavy on you?” I know I can’t tell him the truth but how much I wish I could.  “Just got into a fight with the robots and they are trying to drag Percy into it.”  Chance pulls me into him tighter. “Percy would never side with the robots over you. You know how much Percy loves you. I think you’re over reacting.” I try to turn around to hit him. “I am not over reacting.” I tell him. I look down at my phone and it’s midnight. Percy has made his choice and it was to stand with them. I don’t want to stay here at Chance’s tonight. I want to make sure Percy is okay. I hope he didn’t side with them because he felt like he had to. I start to get up and get my stuff. “You’re not staying the night??” Chance asks. “Nope I need to check on Percy. I need to make sure the robots don’t change him.” Chance grabs my arm. “Cahira I think you should go talk to him but I think you should think about what you’re going to say to him first. Even if you’re coming from a loving place you can come off the wrong way at times.” I stop and just listen to Chance, I know he is right but I just want to be with my little brother and make sure he is okay. "Cahira what if you say the wrong thing and change the relationship between you two?" Chance asks me. I drop my stuff on the floor. "Fine I'll stay the night and think about it." Chance smiles at me. "I think you're doing the right thing." I lay down next to Chance as he wraps his arms around me. "Did you hear about that guy, Enrique?" I roll around and look at Chance. "No, probably because I don't care to hear anything about him. I roasted him in auto class last week." Chance eye brows lift. "You will not feel so good about that after you hear this. His mom just went back to jail. She tried to rob the corner store." I feel kind of bad for him but it's not like I know him all that well. "Wow! that sucks." I can't imagine what he feels no wonder he keeps to himself, his life is probably full of secrets something I can relate to. 

I wake up first thing in the morning to rush home. As I start to grab my stuff Chance wakes up. "Cahira it is 6AM." I look at him. "I know I am sorry I just need to get home and talk to Percy."  I continue to grab my stuff to take off. "Cahira remember to try and see things from his point of view and think before you speak." Chance says as he rolls over. "I will don't worry." I say as I head out the door. I get on my motorcycle to head home.  I try not to speed but I can't help it. I just want to get home to Percy. I open the front door to see my mother sitting on the stairs with a cup of coffee.  Great she wants to gloat about how he picked them. "You win. Where is Percy? He could have at least slept here last night."  My mother says to me as she looks past me. "What do you mean? Percy never came to Chance's last night. You won." I tell my mother. She looks scared. "Cahira this isn't a time for jokes. Percy never came home after school." We both just look at each other for a second. "I am not joking he never showed up at Chance's. Maybe he snuck into his room." I start to head up the stairs to Percy's room with my mother not far behind me. I open his door to find his bed unslept in.  "DAD, GRACE!" I scream. My mother walks into the room and checks his closet. "What are you doing?" I ask her. "I am making sure he didn't run away.  “My mother says as she starts to open his dressers. All of his clothes are in the closet and dressers. Grace comes running into his room. "What are you screaming for?" She says as she starts to look around his room and see our mother. "Percy is missing." I explain to Grace. I walk out of the room to try and control my emotions as I start to think of where he could be. My dad is walking down the hall way toward me. "Dad" I yell as I run up to him. My dad picks me up into his arms as I break down crying. "We pushed him too hard to make a choice and now he is gone." I cry out. "Wait, what are you talking about Cahira?" My dad says as he puts me down. "Percy is gone. Mother thinks he ran away or something but all of his stuff is here. He didn't show up to Chance's last night." My dad walks past me into Percy's room. He looks at my mother and Grace who are both standing there very confused looking. "Grace the game room, set it to stealth." My dad says as he looks around. "Are you serious right now? Percy is missing and your concern about the game room!" I yell at my dad as Grace runs down to the game room. "Yes Cahira because cops are going to be in the house after we call them about Percy missing." My mother walks over to my dad and wraps her arms around him. "He is just a little boy, what if he is just hiding out at friend house?" She says with actual emotion. "We need to call the cops as we call Percy's friends. Let’s go." My dad says as he goes to get his phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment