Sunday, December 25, 2016

Happy Holidays!: Timetopia page 15

                I get ready for the festival then Rev and I head out to the town square. Rev watches as all the kids and pregnant women and voluntaries go into a library. “Why do the kids go that way?”  Rev asks as she points at the kids. “They are too young to enjoy the festival. The festival is all about letting go and having fun. It is our time to let loose without worry. The pregnant can’t drink so they watch over the kids.” I explain to Rev and she tilts her head. “So they protect the kids and pregnant women from the drunks.” I smile at her. “Yes pretty much.” She scrunches her nose. “Well that one I can agree with.” We both laugh. They scan our wristbands so we can get into the area. The bonfire is already lit up and people are eating and drinking already. “Is that deep fried ice cream?” I smile at Rev. “Yes it is!” We both run over there. “So let me get this straight they don’t let you eat these things all the time except for here?” I laugh, “Of course if we always had these things we would be fat. It’s super unhealthy to eat this kind of food.” The servers walk about with drinks on their trays.
                “So what kind of drinks do we have here?” Rev asks as she grab one off the tray. I start to wander around to all the different food stands. I get a taco and some food that was once called southern comfort. I grab a cranberry and vodka and go to find somewhere to sit and eat. Rev walks up with fried ice-cream and a mug of beer in her hand.  We cheer our drinks and then eat and drink up. The music starts and people begin dancing around the fire. I get up to dance with them while Rev goes to grab more to drink. I think I am 3 drinks in. I feel so light and free, I am dancing around the fire. I love the way the flames’ warmth feels on my skin. I see Ron walking around with the tray of drinks, he looks so cute and I just want to talk to him. I walk up to grab another drink. I smile at Ron as I reach for a drink. “Don’t drink it Ava. Go to the bush and pretend to drop your drink but DO NOT drink this round. Do your hear me?” Ron whispers to me. I am lost why doesn’t he want me to have fun. “Ron why?” He looks around. “Please just trust me. You and your friend need to get out of here. I know you don’t have a barcode. If they figure it out… I can’t help you. Just don’t drink it and find your friend. I’ll find you in a bit to get you out of here.” Ron hurries away. I start to look for Rev as she runs right up to me. “Don’t drink that. There is a roofy in there.” She throws the drink down. “What is a roofy? Ron just told me not to drink anymore and that we need to get out of here.” She looks around. “Roofy is a drug that puts you to sleep. Where did Ron take off to? I had a bad feeling about this. Let’s just leave.” I shake my head. “We can’t. No one is allowed to leave until the switch is over. That is why our wristband is used to check us in. They tell the  wellness checkers if anyone is not accounted for. If someone’s missing, the wellness checkers will go looking for them.” Rev takes a deep breath. “Okay… Well we have to do something. Wait didn’t you say you didn’t make it the whole time last year?” I nod yes. My mom made me promise not to tell anyone about last year. It could’ve got all of us in a lot of trouble. “Well what happened exactly?” Rev asks me. She motions with her hand up for me to hurry with my story. I sigh, but my mom did send Rev to help me. “I had two drinks and I couldn’t even finish the second one I just started throwing up uncontrollably. So my mom convinced one of the Wellness checkers to sneak us out. Since our wristbands were scanned in, no one came looking for us.”  Rev looks around and I see her mouth drop, so I follow her eyes to see what she’s looking at.

                I see people starting to drop. They are just hitting the floor, I don’t understand what’s happening. I step forward to go help one of them when Rev grabs me. “Don’t, they are okay I promise. The drug is just making them go to sleep.”  I see Ron running up to us. “You have to go now.” He grabs me by the hand with Rev right behind us. He puts scientist wristbands on us. We are able walk past the wellness checkers. I look back at the peoples bodies just hitting the floor. Rev says they are sleeping but some look dead. Ron take us back to the visiting center. “Pack your stuff fast.” He tells us as he looks around. We run to our room. Packing what little we have. “Why is he helping us?” Rev demanding an answer from me. “How am I supposed to know?” I throw on my back pack and run back outside. Rev pulls out the metal handle on him. “Why are you helping us?” He stops moving. “What is that and why are your pointing it at me?” I think Rev just remember to us the word gun as she calls it means nothing. “It’s a gun. Oh good grief. How come these wristbands got us out?” She puts the gun away. “The festival is where the scientists test on the people.” WHAT! The scientists test on us? “If you’re a scientist why do you work at the visiting center?” He stares at her. Anyone from Timetopia would already know that answer. “He has to. The scientists have to work at every job in the community to truly understand how important our system is. So as they come up with new things for our community they will know what the community needs.” I explain to her. “Look, we don’t have time for this. We got orders from the coming Five to not only give the normal virus and test the people who we gave them to last year, but to also take extra blood and test everyone’s DNA. With you both not having barcodes I feel like it wouldn’t be a good idea for them to have your DNA.” Rev smiles. “Thank you, but you’re right so we need to get out of the city.” Rev tells him. I am in shock they give virse at the festival. “You can’t leave until the roads open up in 2 days, but I have a friend outside of the city past the stream. He is just like you with no barcode.” Wait, there is someone else without a barcode? “How far past the stream?” Rev asked. “I’m not sure, I have never been to his house, but I have a barcode so he won’t let me go. I can be tracked, but if you tell him I sent you he will help you.” Rev looks at me, I nod yes. We start heading toward the forest. I see wellness checkers not too far behind us. “Just get to his house and you will be fine.” Ron walks toward the wellness checkers as we sneak away. I wonder if I will ever see him again. 

1 comment: