Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Series Wednesday: Timetopia page 16

                We walk out past the stream with the darkness all around us. “I’m not sure about this.” Rev tells me. “We don’t know what’s out there…or what kind of animals. We should wait until it’s lighter out so we can at least see what we are up against.” Rev has fear in her voice. “Did you ever go camping as a child?” She laughs. “No I grew up in the Bronx, it isn’t like that, its cement jungle, so no forest to camp in. Not that I would go anyways.” I laugh at her. Rev the fearless, doesn’t like the woods. “It’s like my mom always told me, the monsters under your bed are only as big as you let them be.” I smile at her and keep walking. “Oh now you want to be the brave one.. I see you.” I look at her and laugh. “Of course you can see me, I’m right in front of you.”  She sighs at me and rolls her eyes.
                We head far past the stream, deep into the forest. The sun is coming up above the trees. I have always loved the sunrise. I stop to watch the sun come up as the reds and blues mix in the sky.  Rev pulls my arm. “There is a cabin over there.” She points to the right and starts heading that way. I run to catch up to her. We walk up to the cabin with me in front of Rev.  I can’t wait to just lay down after walking all night, I am so sleepy. A man comes out of nowhere and he has a long metal branch in his hand. “Stop right where you are. Turn around and go back the way you came.” I turn to look back and Rev isn’t behind me anymore. “I’m sorry sir I can’t go back.” He looks at me for a second and steps toward me. He still has the metal branch in his hand. “I’m sorry if you can’t got back. But you can’t stay here. You have stopped moving for too long already.” He says as he looks around in fear. I think he is worried about the tracker that I don’t have. I see Rev walking up behind him. “If you’re worried about someone following us here, don’t. We don’t have trackers.” He looks at me and I turn and lift up my hair for him to see that I don’t have a barcode. “Wait that’s not possible. Did you say we?” As I turn back around, Rev grabs the metal branch and smacks him in the face with it. He falls to the ground, she puts her boot on his throat and points the metal branch at his head. “Yes, she said we.”
                Rev makes a weird sound with the metal branch. The mans’ eyes widen. “You know how to use it.” He seems shocked. “Yes I know how to use a shot gun. So why don’t you tell me where you got it from.” Rev is stepping harder on his throat when he doesn’t say anything. “Rev stop!”  Rev doesn’t listen to me but eases up on his throat. “I made it. I make all the guns for Timetopia.” Rev takes her foot off of his throat.  He makes the guns? How is this man not erased? Rev looks at me. “What do you want to do now?” she asks me. I look at him, “Sir we mean you no harm. Ron sent us here when he seen I didn’t have a barcode. The people at the Switch festival started to drop and he got us out.” The man motions for Rev to move her boot so he can sit up. “Ron sent you… I forgot the switch happens tonight. By any chance do you know who is switching over?” I shake my head no. “So you need a place to stay?” He asks me, not even looking at Rev. “Yes just until they open the roads and we can leave.” He smiles. “If Ron risked his life to get you here, and getting you out of the Switch festival is him risking his life, you must be very special. So you can stay here.” Rev lowers the shot gun as she calls it. He gets up and we all walk to his house. His front door had no lock on it, but there was a black panel on the wall right next to the door. He puts his hand on the panel and the door opens. “Biometric lock.” Rev says to me.

                We walk in and the cabin has so many rooms.  I have never seen so many rooms for one person,  maybe he has a family. “You can pick a room. You both look beat. I have some questions, but they can wait.” He points toward one of the hallways with 3 rooms down it. Rev walks down the hallway and I follow her. I walk into one of the rooms, Rev follows me in. “Do you remember what I showed you?” She hands me the gun. “Yes I remember but I don’t think I’ll need it.” She laughs. “You never know. I still have the shot gun, so I’m good. Just sleep with it next to you okay? Let me know when you’re awake.” She leaves my room. The bed in here is one of the biggest beds I have ever seen and the blanket so fluffy. I lay in the sheets and I feel so warm and safe. I wonder what questions he’s going to ask us tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment