Sunday, December 18, 2016

Random Short story: Siren lost on land

     Land has always been a dream of mine. Growing up here in the sea isn't a treat like some might think. How ever my mom always said terrible things would happen if I left the sea. The land creators would fear me. I don't care, I am sick of this wet life. The sailors always seem to love when we sing to them. Some of them loved it so much they would jump in water with us. It  never ended well for them. That is beside the point. I have decide to live on land.
     I swam as fast as i can to the edge where the water meets the land. I see the white sands. I stop and pull my self up to shore. Now according to legend I shouldn't have to do to much more. Just lay here until i dry out and leg will simply sprout out. I fell asleep on the nice warm sands. When I woke up there standing above me was a man. "Miss this is not that kind of beach. You need at least a bikini." i look down as my self and legs I have. I stand on them and look around every other person it covered unlike me. So I hum in his ear and whisper "Give me" as i pull on his shirt. He was so kind he took it right off. I slid it on and walked away. The people all seem to be in these covers some much fancy then the other. So i walked in to a store and looked at all the covers. A lady walked up to me and helped me put them on. But my humming did nothing to her. But not to far from her was a man who heard my song. He gave her a triangle of plastic and i got to keep it all. Life on land is easy. Night is falling i must find some where to live. I until I see a place with water all about the building, this is it this is my new home. I walk in side pleasantly. There is man who gives me the keys. I hum to the nice men who bring me thing they said i need. They brought me what feels the a cloud then call it a bed.
     Life is good here on land everyone is friendly. I have been watching T.V. here at  home, I realize need to work to fit in. That's is how thing work on land. So I go out to find a job. I wonder around the land when i could to a place where people sit to eat. Here is where i want to work. Everyone looks so happy in here. So i go up to the front and hum to the man in charge and I have a job. i'm not sure why mom said I wouldn't love it here its amazing.
5 years later
     I can't believe i ever lived in the sea. It all seems so far from me now. I moved from the big city to a small town with him! He is the love of my life and never once have i sang to him. I couldn't be happier or further from the sea. "I love you!" He whispers to me as i wake from my sleep. I cant help but feel completely happy. "You look as beautiful as the day i met you." I smile at him. "You are as dreamy as the day i met you." Life is good. I feel sick again this morning. For the past few weeks food has been my enemy. "You need to go to the doctor." He says. But i'm not sure how that even works. I have never felt sick in the sea. "No i am sure it will  pass." I walk to the kitchen and before I know it i am on the floor. He rushes me to the hospital. "Well there isn't anything wrong with you. Your just pregnant."  The doctor smiles. Oh no! A baby, will my baby be able to breath out of the sea?
    "Are you sure your up for this trip to the beach?" he says as he put our bags into the car. "Yes i am sure." The past two months have been so hard. I am so sick, i have to lave in salt water to feel better. If only he knew. He thinks i am 22 and maybe I am. But not in land time by they way humans consider time i am 268 which is nothing where i am from. but will my baby age like me or like him? So many questions. i need to ask my mom. i hum to put him to sleep when we get to our room next to the beach.  i walk into the water. I see her already waiting for me. "How did you know?" i ask her. "You are my daughter. Soon to have one of your own. She has to be born at sea or she will die." i cant believe what she is saying but i know she isn't lying. "What about her father?"  I know what she is about to tell me. but i had to ask. "By the time her lungs will be strong enough for land he will be old or he will be dead." i turn away and swim as fast as i can to land. I pull myself on to the shore and let out a scream one only my kind can hear. I feel the saddest i have ever felt in my life. I hear humming and i look up to see her singing. "Why are you letting out that kind of scream?" She stops singing. I grab her and put her hand on my tummy. She smiles. "She will die if i stay here on land." she nods her head no. "Thats what the creator of the sea think. She will not die. But if you have her on land she will never know the sea. She will live by land time and day the same way." she tells me as she helps me up. "How do you know?" She opens her locket. "She has been gone for 20 years now. She live and died her whole life before I even aged a year in what think is time." This mean if i have her here on land she will die much before me. "why stay here on land?" she smiles and points back. "for my great grandchildren. But i will tell you think if i could do it all again i would of took her to the sea. A mother should never watch her child die." She hugs me and walks away. What am I to do? Let her have her father? Or a longer life? I must do what is best for her. I walk up shore to see him. I lay down next to him.  I hum him to sleep for in the morning he wont remember me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment