Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Series Wednesday: Timetopia page 14

                I am back at the room, still no sign of Rev.  I pace back and forth for what seems like hours.  What if I am in the wrong place? I need to know where that phrase came from. How did Charles know a phrase I have only ever heard from Rev? Can I trust her? Can I trust him? I hear a thud from behind me, I turn around and there is Rev on the floor. “Oh I hate that!” She gets up and run to the bathroom. I hear her throwing up. I sit here waiting for her. I am looking at the watch…Should I tell her about it? She walks out of the bathroom. “Which one of The Five pulled me out of time like that? How long was I gone for?” Rev is looking to me for answers. “How do you know you were pulled out of time?” She laughs as she drinks some water. “Which one was it Ava?” Why doesn’t anyone answer my questions? I am done with people not answering my questions. “Rev, how did you get to Timetopia?” she rolls her eyes at me. “It’s a long story but your mom brought me here.” I stop breathing. Everything seems to lead back to my mom. “Charles is the one who pulled you out of time.” She turns her head. “Which one is he?” I walk over to the table with the history book on it and open it to show her a picture of him. She looks at it and flips through the history book. “I need you to tell me about The Five. Everything you know.” She sits down at the table and points to the chair across from her. I sit down and take the history book back and open it. “There was once a great war. Five scientists lost everything in the war, so they built a time machine.” Before I could finish reading, Rev is waving her hand up in the air, “Stop stop stop. If I wanted to read the history book I would. I need to know the gossip and the things only someone who grew up here would know.”  I am not sure what gossip is. There is nothing I know that isn’t in the history books. I just sit there because I am not sure what she wants.
                “Rev, I’m not sure what you want? Everything I know is from history books and videos at the library.” She sits there and tilts her head. “Who is the cutest of The Five?” I smile “Charles” she laughs, “And who is the one with the green thumb?”  Well that’s easy, “Erick.” She has a big smile like I am answering right. “That is the kind of thing that I need to know, the stuff that isn’t in the books.” Oh I get what she is saying I think. “Charles is the one girls hide pictures of. He is said to be the most charming. Kora is the mother of Timetopia out of The Five. It was said to be her idea to go back and change things. Erick is the fountain of Timetopia. He is the reason for the way our houses are structured and laid out.” Rev puts her hand out for me to stop talking. I hear steps outside of our door. Rev grabs her knife and starts moving toward the door. Someone starts knocking at the door.

                Rev opens the door and there is Ron standing there. “Good evening. I have to do a head count before the Switch Festival tonight.” He smiles. Rev doesn’t know how this works. He is here to make sure everyone is accounted for. He needs to ask these questions for the festival. “Of course come on in.” I smile, trying to give a hint to Rev that this is normal. Rev lets him in and he smiles “Are both of you over 16?” Rev tilts her head. “Yes of course.” He laughs “I have to ask. Are either of you pregnant?” I look at Rev. She gives me a weird look. “Are you pregnant?” She asks me. “No! I’m not married.” Rev tilts her head at me. “So there is your answer. No one is pregnant.”  She smiles at him. “Do either of you have any heart conditions?” I shake my head, no. Rev’s face looks lost. Ron smiles and hands us the wristbands for the switch festival. “I can’t wait to see you out there.” He looks right at me as he says it. He gets up and walks out the door. “So I’m guessing not only do we have to go to this thing, you also now want to go.” Rev says as she sits down. “You don’t understand, the switch festival is the funnest day of the year. So yes, I really want to go.” I sit and think of last years festival with my mom. I didn’t even make it through the night.  Tears start coming out of my eyes. “What’s wrong?” Rev asks. “I went last year with my mom. That’s all. This year I don’t have my mom or dad to go with.” Rev get up and hugs me. “Well then we just have to make this one very memorable switch festival then, wont we.”  I smile at her with a huge smile. “Yes, we most definitely will.” 

1 comment: