Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Series Wednesday: Timetopia page 17

                I wake up and smell food. I smell some kind of meat, so I get up and follow the smell down the hall way. There are pancakes and eggs with some kind of strips. Rev is already sitting at the table eating with the shotgun next to her. “What are these?” I hold up the strips to her. “It’s bacon!” She says so exact.  “Okay. Rev what’s a cement jungle?” I ask as I shove the bacon into my mouth. “It’s another way to say metropolis.” The man says as he puts down a plate with more bacon on it. Rev grabs the shotgun, kicking him in the chest, he quickly hits the ground, then points the shotgun in his face. “How do you know what a metropolis is? Are you a time traveler?” Rev asks as she holds the gun steady to his face. How could he be a time traveler? There are only 5. “I have read about them in books. The Five have a library of books they brought with them from their time. One of them talks about metropolis and cement jungles.” Rev takes a deep breath. Books from the Fives’ time… how strange. I wonder what they say. Rev still isn’t letting him up. “Who are you? What is your name and why do you have no barcode?” Rev is asking so slowly as if he can’t understand her. “They renamed me James. The barcode thing is a little bit of a story I would be glad to share with you if you let me off the floor.” Rev looks him up and down. “Let him up. Rev, he isn’t going to hurt us or he would’ve done it when we were asleep.” Rev doesn’t seem to like my comment. But she lets him up.
                “So get to talking. How come you have no barcode?” Rev asks as she cuts into her pancakes. “I was really sick as a baby. The doctors told my mom I would never make it through the night, so they didn’t bother barcoding me. They didn’t want to waste a chip on a baby that had no chance of living. As you can see, I did live. By the time they realized I was going to live, my skull had hardened which made it nearly impossible for them to shove the tracker into it without severely injuring me. After that, they made the law that all babies get the barcode even if they are sick.” I look at him. “What do you mean renamed you?” I ask because that is against the law to change your name. “Charles renamed me after I started working for the Five.  I was George before they renamed me James.” I look at him and Rev rolls her eyes. “Why James?” I asked, “James Bond, he’s a fictional charter who could do anything.” Rev answers. “Yes that’s exactly why. He worked for the government and was always called on to do top secret missions. How do you know about him?” He asks Rev. “Most people don’t know this, but it’s a book and it was my favorite as a little girl.” James’ eyes sharpen on Rev. “How did you read it? It is in a secret stash of stuff the Five brought with them from their time.”  Rev leans towards him. “I don’t have to tell you anything.” She leans back and smiles. I am still wondering about the guns. “How did you start making guns?” I ask him. “West had me make them. He showed me how. It started during his year when I was 15. He had me make them for the higher up managers. He is also the one who showed me how to build the biometric lock.”

                “Who is West?” Rev asks. I can’t help but look at James’ face as she asks. He looks shocked. “West is the tech guy out of The Five.” James responds, and Rev just shrugs at him. “How is it that neither of you have barcodes?” James asks. “I am not from Timetopia. It’s that simple for me.” Rev answers like that is a simple answer at all. She just keeps eating. “I am not sure about me. It seems like they just forgot about me or something.” James looks down. “How are you not from Timetopia? That isn’t possible.” James gets up and walks to the other room and returns with a globe. He points at it. “All the land is Timetopia, so how are you not from Timetopia?” I have never seen a globe up close before. Maybe Rev will answer him. “Like I said, I’m not from Timetopia and it’s as simple as that.” She slowly lifts up the shotgun and puts it on the table. I see James’ eyes widen. “Are you one of the underground children? I heard about you, but I thought you were all erased.”  Rev shrugs. “What is the underground children?” I ask. Does this mean Rev is from Timetopia? “It was back before all the technology when the Five first went back and some hid their children. They were called the underground children. The Five were said to have erased all of them but if one got through… I wonder why or who is was watching over you?” Rev still has the shotgun in hand. We hear a loud beep. “What’s that?” I ask. “It’s an emergency message from Ron.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment